Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kep View Post
    Also, apparently the locking feature of the cockpit door required a button to be pressed manually to have the door continue being locked. The pilot and flight crew would have had the override code to access the cockpit. The only way the door could have remained locked for the 10 minutes, was for a button to be manually pressed in the cockpit every five minutes by the remaining pilot. In the reading I was doing last night and this morning, it really doesn't sound like there is any way for this to have an accidental. There's also no way to explain the careful slow descent. Apparently the autopilot would not have allowed this, As it would have deviated from the flightplan the autopilot was following.
    I have read some of the same facts, and I have an uncle who is a pilot who has said similar things. I have to respectfully disagree with the PP who thinks that the French/Germans released these facts too soon. I think that there would be criticism if they didn't announce these facts once they knew of them -- but I think they probably have other ways that they have validated this too.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is nothing short of horrifying.

However, we just booked tix for our spring break. I have to stop thinking about this or I will not be able to deal once it's time for our flights.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Yeesh. It is horrible. Thanks for the details.

And though every news story seems to think the US is safer because a flight attendant has to go to the cockpit if one of the pilots leave, eh, maybe. But if someone is so determined to die and take others down with them, I'm not that sure that a single flight attendant is going to make that much of a difference. It would be helpful in the case of medical emergencies but not so much someone with malicious intent.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The medical emergency theory doesn't work because he deliberately locked the cockpit door. If he had a heart attack/stroke, the captain would've been able to open the door with the code.

It's just so awful.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    This is nothing short of horrifying.

However, we just booked tix for our spring break. I have to stop thinking about this or I will not be able to deal once it's time for our flights.
    I also have a flight coming up (which caused me to ask my uncle about all of this). As horrifying as it is, I would be more troubled if it was something that was wrong with the plane or unexplainable (b/c I fly that kind of plane all of the time). Knowing that it was a murderous person/pilot makes me feel better in some way, for my own safety. I am also not sure if other airlines do psychological testing?

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Yeesh. It is horrible. Thanks for the details.

And though every news story seems to think the US is safer because a flight attendant has to go to the cockpit if one of the pilots leave, eh, maybe. But if someone is so determined to die and take others down with them, I'm not that sure that a single flight attendant is going to make that much of a difference. It would be helpful in the case of medical emergencies but not so much someone with malicious intent.
    Honestly, the bad guys will always find a way. I guess we just have to hold onto the belief that most people are good, and the chances statistically speaking of being on a flight that ends tragically is very, very small.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    I am also not sure if other airlines do psychological testing?
    news said that airline had psychological testing at the time of hire but that is it. honestly, any sort of mental illness can develop over time, so just because someone is "fine" at hire, is no guarantee they are "fine" at a later date. it is just tragic, all around. I honestly don't understand the whole suicide by pilot intentional crash...there are so many other ways that would not result in the loss of so many lives.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    news said that airline had psychological testing at the time of hire but that is it. honestly, any sort of mental illness can develop over time, so just because someone is "fine" at hire, is no guarantee they are "fine" at a later date. it is just tragic, all around. I honestly don't understand the whole suicide by pilot intentional crash...there are so many other ways that would not result in the loss of so many lives.
    It's really mass murder, the suicide is almost incidental. Not many crimes were you kill hundreds at one time.

Now Reuters is reporting that the autopilot was manually changed to descend to 100ft (lowest setting).
    http://www.businessinsider.com/aviat...00-feet-2015-3

I can't even imagine what is must have been like for those poor people on that flight. How unbelievably terrifying.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    This is so utterly horrible. I can't stop thinking about those kids. There's really no word for this kind of evil.
    I agree. It is just evil.
    K

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast