jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default SAHMs - how do you alter your schedule when you have visitors?

I'm wondering how much cleaning / organizing you do when you have visitors. My mom was just here last week. We had two days where DS2 had full days of school. One day I organized my Christmas closet and my mom kept me company while I did it. I offered to turn on the Tv for her but she was happy to just sit and direct my efforts. The second full day we had we did a couple of returns that had been sitting, took in a movie and did a bit of shopping. The other three days DS2 only had school for 2 hours so we stayed close to home and she played with DS2 / kept him company while I cooked and ran laundry. My MIL will be visiting for a week soon and I'm trying to figure out if it's rude to do an organizing project while she's here. I'll most likely tackle the toys in the playroom and she can watch tv or read a book in the same room. The other full day I thought we would take to do some shopping, have lunch and maybe watch a movie if time allows. The other three days are short days for Ds2 so we'll plan to stay close to home and prep / cook dinner. DH will not be taking any time off and doesn't come home until 7:00. Thoughts? TIA
    Last edited by jgenie; 03-26-2015 at 12:56 PM.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think it depends on the relationship you have with the guest. My mom and MIL love to "be helpful," which usually means keeping me company while I clean or organize or cook, and/or playing with the kids so I can do said cleaning or organizing or cooking. So for us, its pretty much the norm. we have time for good conversation while working and we dont' usually shop. As long as your MIL is not the type to expect to be wined and dined and entertained all week, I think it sounds like a great plan!
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Whenever either set of grandparents is here visiting, they want to help me out and play with the kids. I do feel a bit of a need to entertain, but mostly that's through field trips with the kids. I absolutely plan all of my errands/returns/doctor's appointments/etc while grandparents are in town. Not back-to-back days, but certainly several times out just by myself (or with one kid at a time) while grandparents are here. My mom has driven around here enough to feel comfortable taking the kids to the library or park while I organize (or the little kids out while I homeschool the big kids), and my in-laws love to take the kids for walks. In general, we don't cancel activities but just bring the grandparents along (eg, ballet, swimming lessons, church).

Since we homeschool, pulling the kids from school isn't an issue. It's a plane flight away for both sets of parents, so I plan ahead to do light school weeks while family is in town. If I had a child in preschool or daycare, I would certainly pull her to spend time with the grandparents. If I had a child in school with a teacher other than me, I wouldn't pull him out, but I'd make sure to plan lots of free time with the grandparents after school hours.

It sounds like your question is really more about what to do with relatives when both kids are in school, but I think what you said about shopping, hanging out, movies sounds fine to me!
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think it depends on the relationship to the guest and the length of the stay. When my parents visit we pretty much stick to the schedule, and maybe do something fun on weekends, because they stay for about 3 weeks. When my ILs visit it's during a holiday time for the kids, so there is some flexing there. This past Christmas they were with us for 4 days and the kids went to bed an hour later than normal because their cousins are teenagers and they were learning to play Guesstures!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

I don't know how close you are with your MIL or what her energy level is like, but I would think its a bit rude/boring for her to watch you do an organizing project while the kids are in school. Why wouldn't you be able to tackle organizing projects when you don't have guests?

I think what you mentioned about shopping, movies, and going out to lunch sounds a lot more fun.

I don't think she expects you to be a chauffeur and take her to see the local attractions.
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would personally keep chores to a minimum and not do any projects. I'd aim for more socializing/ fun.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am the opposite, I drop everything I can and use entertaining as an excuse to do nothing mundane! But my in laws are from England and only come over 1x a year or so. When they leave I feel like my "staycation" is over and I am behind on real life things and the house is a mess.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would not do an organizing project or cleaning and think that would come across as pretty rude. I'd organize fun activities like wine tasting, meals out, catching a show or shopping for fun, etc.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Well, it never happens. No family has come to visit since we got married 13 years ago. But, if they did, I'd probably plan some fun things or just relaxing and visiting. I might do a project if it was something they could help me with.
    Kris