Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I would not call. I would hang a sign and not answer the door if I don't want to speak with them. Even if its the HOA policy, I don't think its the job of the police to enforce it.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Magazine sales door-to-door is a nasty business -- a scam at best, sometimes related to human trafficking. I'd call if I saw it, even if they flashed a permit.

Kid selling junk for school, Jehovah's witnesses? No. I wouldn't call.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I normally don't call for door to door stuff but have called when my spidey sense went off. I have no idea what came of it but figured a police car cruising slowly down our street might deter them if they were up to no good.

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It depends on what your town ordinance is on solicitors. If your town has an ordinance requiring permits, ask the solicitors to see their permit and call the non-emergency number if they do not have one. If the town does not have such an ordinance then I would not call unless they were doing anything that might be illegal.
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

cagey is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I definitely wouldn't call 911, and most likely not call 311 unless there'd been a request to so due to recent break-ins, etc.

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

If your city requires solicitor licenses (or whatever terminology) I would ask to see it. Of course, you have no way of verifying it is valid and scammers would probably have fake numbers.

Like pp, I'd suggest those who don't want solicitors put up signs.

DS sells popcorn and scoutarama tickets door to door and we respect the signs. This is a suburban, middle-class neighborhood.
    Last edited by rlu; 03-26-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, I do call the non-emergency line. I live in a smallish, affluent town and rarely get solicitors, but those that do come are 100% scam and sketchy. There have been many daytime break-ins in our area the last few years and the police say that the solicitors are often casing homes, so they want residents to call. I've only called 1 or 2 times and each time the police have been here immediately and are glad I called. They don't seem to arrest the solicitors but do run them out of town. Permits are required here but that's irrelevant to the reason I call.

ETA: I'm never bothered by kids selling things and happily purchase most kid-sold items, even if I don't personally know them. It's the scammers and thieves I'm trying to keep out.

a scam at best, sometimes related to human trafficking.
    Wow. In that case, what's the best way to help? (Wondering if calling the police would help, or just move the problem down the street)
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My natural impulse is to say no. It wouldn't even occur to me.

However, our neighborhood experienced a rash of burglaries late last year and had a meeting with the police about how to deter criminals, etc. One of the tips the officer kept stressing was to call the police on ANY suspicious activity, including solicitors without licenses. He said that at the very least, they provide bits of information to the police that can help when actual crimes occur. It still goes against my inclinations to call, but I will.

FWIW, the MO of at least some of the burglaries was that the person would knock on the front door of a house and if nobody answered, would go around back and force the door. In once case, two kids were home alone (they were old enough to be) and had been instructed by their parents not to answer the door, so they didn't. They and the burglar were very surprised when he busted the back door and came upon them! He ran away immediately, but still a bad experience. The cop said the better policy is to have kids answer, but not open, the door. A kid alone should call up the stairs as if they're talking to their parents, then tell the solicitor to leave.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We live in a neighborhood that displays a No-Solicitations sign, but we didn't used to. If it isn't illegal, I don't think you can call the police (unless you are seeing signs of criminal behavior/intent). I have no problem not answering the door or phone when I know it is solicitations.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast