Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommend cold/allergy medication that works QUICKLY!

Not sure if this is a sudden onset of seasonal allergies or the start of a cold. I woke up this morning super stuffy (but unable to blow my nose!), and my eyes have had that tired, burning sensation all day. I have been downing Zicam like crazy.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll be on a plane for a long-awaited girls' weekend - the recirculated plane air will probably make this worse. I don't usually take any cold remedies - but really want to nip this in the bud and enjoy my time with friends! What should I get from the pharmacy in the morning? TIA!
    DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

From a chronic sinus sufferer, you need to get some Afrin and then possibly some Sudafed or something like that (something with a decongestant). Use the Afrin one squirt in each nostril right before take off and again right before decent. BUT don't use the Afrin continuously after that, as it has a rebound effect if you use it more than 3 days in a row and will actually make the congestion worse.

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I usually take Zyrtec or Claritin but when my allergies gets really bad, I take Chlor-trimeton along with a pseudoephedrine, a decongestant. It works pretty quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love Zyrtec for allergies. It's the only allergy med I take, and though I don't have ongoing allergies, I do take it when I wake up with itchy eyes.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

and get a neti pot!!!! It's been a game changer for me and totally staved off a sinus infection with no visit to the doctor, no antibiotics And this after years of having to go to the doctor to get antibiotics after a cold settles into my sinuses.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I second the Afrin and sudafed route (get the stuff behind the pharmacy counter)
    DS 2/09

Start taking high doses of vitamin C too!

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    and get a neti pot!!!! It's been a game changer for me and totally staved off a sinus infection with no visit to the doctor, no antibiotics And this after years of having to go to the doctor to get antibiotics after a cold settles into my sinuses.

mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am recovering from a cold/flu something that is all sinus. I tried sudafed to no avail and then finally asked pharmicist for something, I ended up with 12 hour mucinex which has been the best (not magic). I also used aftin and a neti pot. I think it all helped me. GOOD LUCK!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I am recovering from a cold/flu something that is all sinus. I tried sudafed to no avail and then finally asked pharmicist for something, I ended up with 12 hour mucinex which has been the best (not magic). I also used aftin and a neti pot. I think it all helped me. GOOD LUCK!
    Pharmacists always say mucinex is the best. I worked with a former one and she said they all say that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast