Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I could use a great love story...

In a bit of a reading slump, does anyone have one to recommend?

I've read most of the obvious ones (notebook, the thorn birds, etc) and I'm not picky on genre! I don't mind smut but not something I look for.

Any suggestions?
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It sounds so cheesy, but I bought a book called "The Rancher and the Rock Star" because it went on sale for 99 cents on day and I totally enjoyed it!!! It's low on the smut (despite the cover), high on the sweetness. Kind of a modern fairy-tale vibe, really easy to get lost in it and smile It was really well-written and a page-turner too, I was totally surprised.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-26-2015 at 10:55 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Something Borrowed and Something Blue ?

One of my favorite all time romances/books is The Bronze Horseman (Paullina Simmons) and it's following 2 books. It is NOT a light romance though, it's like 1000 pages and set during the world war (I think 1 but it's been years so could be mistaken.) You will cry your eyes out but it's a really good romance. Not super smutty but there is sex.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

My favorite light reading is Georgette Heyer, who is often called Jane Austen-lite (her best books take place during Regency England), but is actually a really good writer in her own right. She's spoiled me for any other "romance" writers. She's not smutty at all, and her stories all have a satisfying happily ever after. So many good love stories, but my favorites are Arabella, Cotillion, Devil's Cub, and The Grand Sophy. My library has most of them as ebooks.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I really enjoyed Love Walked In by Maria de los Santos.

Quote Originally Posted by AustenFan View Post
    My favorite light reading is Georgette Heyer, who is often called Jane Austen-lite (her best books take place during Regency England), but is actually a really good writer in her own right. She's spoiled me for any other "romance" writers. She's not smutty at all, and her stories all have a satisfying happily ever after. So many good love stories, but my favorites are Arabella, Cotillion, Devil's Cub, and The Grand Sophy. My library has most of them as ebooks.
    Yeah that! I love Georgette Heyer. My aunt introduced me to her books when I was a teen and she has been my comfort reading ever since. I agree with the books above and also These Old Shades and Fridays Child. Like PP said, no smut just romance.
    She also writes mystery book which are VERY different IMO from her romance stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters Series is good. It is contemporary romance in a military/personal security setting. The stories about Gina, and Max are my favorite, I think, but the first few that deal with Sam & Alyssa are also really good. It kind of helps to read these in order, but some stories are better than others. I will warn you though I think she does get a little preachy about certain social causes she supports and feels strongly about and it is prevalent in the latter books, but with absolutely nothing against the characters or the cause it kind of takes over at times in some of the books and gets kind of off track of the original story, but overall the books are pretty good and well written.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips, she has two distinct series (plus a few other stand alone books), "books set in Texas"---although some of them really aren't, but in one away or another are connected to the main characters of her first book Fancy Pants, but everything doesn't really connect until you read Simply Irresistible, but you can easily read that one first (that is what I did, and how I found the author in the new Ebook section of my library), and "Chicago Stars" series---which centers around a fictional nfl franchise, but some books like Dream A Little Dream are pretty far removed from the sports culture.

Nora Roberts early books are quite good, same with the first 20 yrs. or so of Danielle Steel.

I love Richard North Patterson books as well. Degree of Guilt, and it's sequel Eyes of a Child are great. They are romance set in a political or lawyer setting with a bit of murder mystery as well.

Elisabeth Adler's Secret of the Villa Mimosa

Barbara Taylor Bradford's Dangerous to Know
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-27-2015 at 09:43 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Some would probably say it's more just historical fiction than love story, but I think it's a love story. Coming Home, by Rosamunde Pilcher.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wild Swan by Celeste deBlasis, it's got everything, love, sex, history, adventure... It's a trilogy that I've read over and over.. It's old but amazing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast