JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default American Express - Costco TrueEarnings vs. Blue Cash Everyday

Since Costco and American Express are going their separate ways in about a year, would now be a good time to get a different Amex card, or do you think there will be better deals later? Right now we have the TrueEarnings card. It is in DH's name and I am an authorized user. It has 3% back on gas, 2% back on dining and travel, and 1% back on everything else. DH has gotten an offer for Amex Blue Cash Everyday which is 3% at supermarkets (up to $6,000 then 1%), 2% on gas and select department stores, and 1% on everything else. I think the Blue Cash Everyday cash back mix would work better for us and they are offering $200 I rewards if you spend $1,000 in the first three months, and 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months (not sure if we would use that). But if they will have an even sweeter deal later, we could wait. Either way I guess we would keep the TrueEarnings card until it goes defunct, as it acts as our Costco membership card. What is everyone else with a TrueEarnings card doing?

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not sure if there will be a better deal or not...but the Blue Cash is routinely rated as one of the top two cards for those who don't carry balances. We switched from a different Amex to Blue Cash late last year.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have the blue cash with the annual fee. It has 6% back on groceries (also up to $6k) and 3% on gas and department stores. It's 1% on everything else. Between the extra in groceries and gas we more than make up for the annual fee. But now that Costco is splitting from Amex, I need to find a cash back visa. The one we have right now is an Amazon visa, and I'd really rather find a decent cash back instead.

For us, the vast majority of our credit card bill is gas and groceries, and we pay it off each month, so the blue card with the fee is the best one.

ETA: If you spend $6000 on groceries at 6%, that's $360, as opposed to $180 if you get 3% cash back with the blue card that doesn't have the fee (so a $180 difference). The annual fee is $75 a year, so it is a better deal to get the card with the fee. Plus, you get 3% back on gas instead of 2%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mommylamb; 03-29-2015 at 08:46 AM.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    We have the blue cash with the annual fee. It has 6% back on groceries (also up to $6k) and 3% on gas and department stores. It's 1% on everything else. Between the extra in groceries and gas we more than make up for the annual fee. But now that Costco is splitting from Amex, I need to find a cash back visa. The one we have right now is an Amazon visa, and I'd really rather find a decent cash back instead.

For us, the vast majority of our credit card bill is gas and groceries, and we pay it off each month, so the blue card with the fee is the best one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This exactly!
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have the Amazon Visa right now, but will be looking for a better option as well once Costco drops Amex. I am thinking about the Southwest Airlines Visa, since they fly to 98% of where we need to go to, and it is mandated that DH use Southwest for travel it actually makes a lot of sense for us to rack up points that way. It is $100 a year, I think. If we do that we would drop our Jet Blue Amex as well because right now Jet Blue has really cut back on the number of flights to places we go with the exception of Salt Lake City, but we are going to really have to see if it is worth the $100 yr. fee if we aren't traveling to SLC yearly.

I am curious to find out what type of replacement card Amex will offer to their current Costco customers.

The only groceries we buy on credit are those bought at Costco as I still prefer to pay cash for food and bills even though cash back rewards are so tempting as I am just better at budgeting when all of our available funds aren't tied to paying off a single large credit card bill every month. We still pay our credit cards off monthly though.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-29-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The replacement is a Visa, some flavor of cash back I imagine.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the input. We will probably get whatever Visa Costco offers to replace the TrueEarnings (I have heard they may just send it to people as a replacement, though that seems a bit strange), but I have come to like the Amex, and it gets me free Shoprunner (nice to use once in a while), so we do want to keep an Amex as well. Might wait for a bit, though, as it sounds like the offer we got is fairly standard.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    Since Costco and American Express are going their separate ways in about a year, would now be a good time to get a different Amex card, or do you think there will be better deals later? Right now we have the TrueEarnings card. It is in DH's name and I am an authorized user. It has 3% back on gas, 2% back on dining and travel, and 1% back on everything else. DH has gotten an offer for Amex Blue Cash Everyday which is 3% at supermarkets (up to $6,000 then 1%), 2% on gas and select department stores, and 1% on everything else. I think the Blue Cash Everyday cash back mix would work better for us and they are offering $200 I rewards if you spend $1,000 in the first three months, and 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months (not sure if we would use that). But if they will have an even sweeter deal later, we could wait. Either way I guess we would keep the TrueEarnings card until it goes defunct, as it acts as our Costco membership card. What is everyone else with a TrueEarnings card doing?
    when I cancelled my Costco membership a couple years ago, I switched to the Blue Cash card and have been satisfied
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11