Thread: lost car title?

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default lost car title?

We bought and paid off our car while living in MA. We live in another state now and cannot find the title, so we need a new copy to even donate the car. When you register a car in a new state would that change the title? Both states have kind of complicated procedures and I am not sure where to start. I don't even know if it is in my or my husband's name. Ugh.

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by blisstwins View Post
    We bought and paid off our car while living in MA. We live in another state now and cannot find the title, so we need a new copy to even donate the car. When you register a car in a new state would that change the title? Both states have kind of complicated procedures and I am not sure where to start. I don't even know if it is in my or my husband's name. Ugh.
    if you registered it in your state they have it. Write the VIN number down and call your DMV they should be able to get a new title to you
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm in NY and I was surprised that I was able to order a replacement title online. I needed the VIN and info from my registration. It was quick and painless. Check your state's motor vehicle website. Good luck!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by blisstwins View Post
    We used to live in one state, moved to another state, registered that car in new state almost immediately (I wanted alma mater plates), then paid off the car a year or so later.

We went to sell the car an embarrassing number of years later and realized we didn't have the title. We could find the letter from the lender (the manufacturer's finance arm, so large national company) saying we'd paid off the loan, but nothing else. My mom works for county government in new state so we asked her to see what she could find out. New state would have sent us the title automatically, but had no record of our title being in their system, though we we registered there.

Old state didn't send out the titles unless you requested them. I called old state bracing myself to get yelled at for being so careless. She shrugged, didn't seem phased in the least. Told me where to download a form, send $15 and I had it in a few days.

The finance company had our new address, but I guess the car was initially in old state, so they sent it there. They apparently don't cross-check/care where it's currently registered. I'm really not sure of the whole process, and I'm sure it varies wildly.

I'd just call both states and explain. Someone will have it. (Old state did everything electronically, it didn't exist in paper form until I requested it, she could get just by looking at the computer that they "had" it in their system.

My car was registered in several states but never titled in those states so your title might not have been transferred (or it might have). We (okay, I) lost the title for a different car and it was straightforward to order a replacement when we needed one after moving out of state.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13