HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Is he really ready to be out of the booster?

My DS is 10 1/2. He is 4 ft. 7 in. He just sat in my DH's car (Hyundai Elantra). His feet are flat on the floor, knees at the edge, tush all the way back and seatbelt where it needs to hit. The issue is the shoulder belt hits at his neck. We put the booster back in. Seatbelt still hits in the same area, but the shoulder belt fits right. There is no way to adjust the shoulder belt height in this car. So, I assume we keep him in the booster for now. Am I correct? I do not want DS out of the booster if it is the only way to keep the shoulder belt away from his neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I thought the minium height recs for a seat belt was 4ft 9in. From what you posted, it sounds like he needs to still be in a booster. I could be wrong though, I am still in the car seat stage .
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We have the same fit issues. He's good at the hips and feet, but the shoulder isn't quite right in DH's car. He's about 4' 8" now. He is fine in a friend's car though and it all fits him well.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    I thought the minium height recs for a seat belt was 4ft 9in. From what you posted, it sounds like he needs to still be in a booster. I could be wrong though, I am still in the car seat stage .
    I think that's the general rule. However I think depends on the car also. My DS is not anywhere near in my car ready to get out of the booster. However it looks like he's very close in my husbands car.

Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Yeah, so so so much depends on the car, that 4'9" is more of a general rule (My 2 yo fit great in the back row of a 98 Durango, lol!)
    Does the shoulderbelt *bother* him on his neck? That's the actual danger, is that it bothers kids, they put it behind their backs or under their arms, and wicked head and gut injury are the result of having one loose lapbelt holding them in. The belt next to the neck isn't the danger itself, because it's still on the shoulder and sternum where it does the hard work in a crash, holding the skeleton in place. If it really looks like it's right across his voicebox and windpipe and it gives you a bad feeling, then go a little longer in the booster.
    It's such a weird feeling when they don't need a seat anymore, I might keep Leah in her Incognito for-like-ever
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Jools, is there an issue of the seatbelt cutting into the neck in a hard stop or a crash? That is my major concern. My DS also has a hard time with transitions. So he would rather keep the booster and never give it up.

Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Only if it's really truly going deep across his neck, otherwise no, rubbing on the neck isn't dangerous.
    Not dangerous to keep him in a booster, either, let him get used to the idea so it's easier when he really IS too big for it.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thank you Jools

Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007