Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thumbs down Baby hates the car

I know this is probaby a phase, but it's driving me crazy! My 6 month old is in a Snugride 30 and cries every time we go anywhere in the car. I suspect it has nothing to do with the car seat and everything to do with just wanting out, but if anyone can give me some real-life suggestions I would be very grateful. She's tiny at only 12.5 lbs and 25 inches so she'll fit in that seat for a long time to come. I do wonder if she'd be happier in a convertible, but with 3 older kids I really value the convenience of the infant seat for quick trips and drop offs/pick ups. Any suggestions for helping her to be happier in her seat?!
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My older son stopped crying when I switched to a convertible when he was 3 months old. My younger son did not, and continued to cry until he was a year old. It stunk!

My youngest screamed until 6-7 months. It was awful! He's fine now at 19 months
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Maybe have a special car-only toy to keep her occupied? I used to sing to my kids in the car to calm them. It was great, they'd clap, and want more. My singing voice does not inspire applause in anyone else.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Yes, I recommend music or even the Happiest Baby on the Block white noises. Don't be afraid to be LOUD!!!! When my kids were really little, that white noise on mega volume was the only thing that would stop the crying! It definitely may be that switching to a convertible would help, but you won't know until you try it, so maybe try everything else first. The good news is that most kids outgrow it. Mine are both excellent travelers and were both screamers as little babies.

I have a Complete Air for DS3 that I can try her out in to see if she does better in a convertible. Maybe I'll give that a try today and see how she does.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We dealt with that for over a year. It was awful! Some kids really do much better in a convertible but it didn't help mine. Does she sit comfortably in the car seat out of the car? I wonder if its the motion causing nausea.
    Like pp, we found loud music sometimes helped as did bright/flashy/noisy toys because he didn't have access to them elsewhere. With three older sibs, they could help with singing songs, itsy bitsy spider, making faces and playing peekaboo, or reading books. Mine even played catch with a small balloon or foam ball for a while. Any of that was safer than trying to concentrate with the screaming.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

I've actually moved a HBB for one of the big boys to the second row and moved DS3 to the 3rd row so I can have a big boy next to her to help calm her on trips in the car. The only thing that seems to work is when DH or I reach over and stroke her head. She wants to know we are there, and talking or singing doesn't cut it. I'm going to try making the seat more upright. She is OK in the seat out of the car, we have a stroller frame that we use occasionally for quick trips into stores and whatnot, and she mostly does fine in that as long as she can see us.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Does she have a mirror so she can see you in the rearview mirror? Might help, if it's a separation anxiety thing. If it were a silent reflux thing, then 'unfolding' her belly by using a convertible with a straighter back might help.
    Only my youngest was a car screamer, and fortunately not for long, but I still remember it, it was *horrible*!
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My babies were all carseat screamers. It was so stressful trying to drive anywhere! Those were horrible days. DD cried all the time until about age 1. Moving to a convertible helped a little but she still cried. DS did the same thing. It turned out to be silent reflux from dairy allergies and got better when I eliminated dairy from my diet and his. DS2 did the same thing and it turned out to be dairy and soy and eggs. He gets fussy in the car (among other things) if he has a flare from an accidental exposure.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast