Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Opinions on a hat--awesome vintage or dated 80s?

I'm going to a wedding at the beginning of May, and feel totally frumpy because I can't wear anything dressier than a t-shirt dress (nursing Mom... sigh). The bride definitely won't find me under-dressed as it is, but I wanted to dress it up with a hat. My husband hates hats because they make him feel old, but has given in. LOL

I was thinking of something like a fascinator or small straw hat, but I came across this hat on kijiji. Is it old enough to be vintage? Or is it too big to be worn at a tilted angle? Also wondering if black velvet anything is too much for a spring wedding (or Easter, which is the only other time I'd likely wear a non-functional hat). Then again, this hat would cost a fraction of the price of anything new.

Someone please tell me that I'm not crazy for obsessing over my own attire more than the wedding gift!

Thoughts: buy it and wear it? look elsewhere and come back if I can't find anything affordable? run as fast as I can from anything vaguely 80s?

20150329_081020.jpg
    20150329_081042.jpg
    20150329_083357.jpg
    20150329_083454.jpg

ETA: ok, going with the consensus and forgetting the hat--this one anyway. Dress suggestions are welcome, but in my experience, "nursing-friendly" tops or dresses are an exercise in flashing a crowd! Should have mentioned I'm nursing a toddler, so he'll have to nurse sometime but I can't predict his schedule or hide him under a scarf. Links to pictures of the dresses I have: this one in white and gray, and this one in the black as pictured.

While I'm at it, since folks are suggesting a necklace instead, here's an option I already have:
    IMG_20150401_122556.jpg
    Last edited by anne-girl; 04-01-2015 at 03:55 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Not a fan. Only way I can see it working is a different color. Dark just isn't springy. As for dressy and nursing, get a wrap dress. You can get a cheap one at Old Navy.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Not a fan. Only way I can see it working is a different color. Dark just isn't springy. As for dressy and nursing, get a wrap dress. You can get a cheap one at Old Navy.
    Totally agree. I'd also consider a shirt+nursing tank and skirt instead of a dress for easy but discreet access.

The dress is a nursing dress--I don't wear anything but nursing clothes; with my bust size not much else works. I've never found a tank that's remotely discreet. Does Old Navy have nursing clothing? If so it's not available in Canada.

I would much rather find a bright coloured hat; just not sure what I'll be able to find before then. Haven't much time to shop in stores, and shipping costs an arm and a leg here.

If I could get it shipped in time (which I can't), this is more the sort of thing I'd like.

Skip the hat entirely. I agree with others, look fir a wrap dress as they are flattering and nursi f friendly. I'd spend my hat money on a hair blowout and/or makeup. Having amazing hair made me feel great at the social functions I want to pregnant and frumpy.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

or a statement necklace is a simple way to dress up an outfit.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    or a statement necklace is a simple way to dress up an outfit.
    Yes, I second this! Go with a statement necklace, skip the hat. I'm not crazy about the option you have, and a dressy hat would not work with a casual tshirt dress. Also second the suggestion to get your hair done - spring for some awesome shoes too!

for Sandy Hook

If it helps, here's a link to the dress options (I have two):

This one in a white and gray print, and this one in black. The black one it the dressier of the two, so I'd only wear it if it can dress it up with color (eg a big silk scarf--not on trend but kind of my thing).
    Last edited by anne-girl; 04-01-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: fixed link

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The second black dress link does not seem to work, so could not see it. First link worked, and the dress looks fine to me.

No to the hat. Sorry, but I really think it would be very conspicuous in a bad way.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with others that the hat doesn't work. It is an outdoor wedding? You could probably find a pretty spring straw type hat that would work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast