Default New Orleans in May with 4 yo 1 yo

Planning a last minute vacation with the kids. We are thinking New Orleans would be fun. Any suggestions on where to stay with the kids in the $200-300 per night range. Do people rent cars or just walk/taxi/public transportation? Or if this is terrible idea let me know!

Thanks!

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We took the Trolley/cable car. They come fairly frequently and have the wow factor (the first day anyway). The swamp tour company provided roundtrip transport for DS & DH.

I wouldn't necessarily rec the hotel we stayed at near the Superdome. It was for a work conference and we had to take the cable car to get anywhere.

You didn't ask for things to do so maybe you already have an intinerary but if not, for kids that young I'd suggest a swamp tour (maybe, how long can the 1yo stay still?), Cafe du Monde and a riverboat cruise. We also did the WWII museum (we were there over half a day but it is very intense) and DS & DH went to Mardi Gras World (they dont' rec). We also rode the Garden District trolley to the end and back just to see the houses.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

New Orleans is a go-to family destination for us. You can definitely have a nice trip with young kids. We spend a lot of time walking around and enjoying the street performers, food, music, etc. There's also a ferry that is very inexpensive (maybe free), and the streetcars of course. The zoo is excellent as well. You can walk around the quarter but need a car to get further out, especially with kids.

Thanks so much! I do not have an itinerary yet so thank you for the advice. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a crazy idea first!

Quote Originally Posted by rlu View Post
    We took the Trolley/cable car. They come fairly frequently and have the wow factor (the first day anyway). The swamp tour company provided roundtrip transport for DS & DH.

I wouldn't necessarily rec the hotel we stayed at near the Superdome. It was for a work conference and we had to take the cable car to get anywhere.

You didn't ask for things to do so maybe you already have an intinerary but if not, for kids that young I'd suggest a swamp tour (maybe, how long can the 1yo stay still?), Cafe du Monde and a riverboat cruise. We also did the WWII museum (we were there over half a day but it is very intense) and DS & DH went to Mardi Gras World (they dont' rec). We also rode the Garden District trolley to the end and back just to see the houses.

Okay well glad to hear it is a fun trip with the kids! Thanks for your help

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I forgot to mention a big hit with our boys at that age - City Park.

They even have a playground called "Storyland" that is based on children's' stories: http://neworleanscitypark.com/in-the-park/storyland
    There's also a amusement park that is geared towards families and kids: http://neworleanscitypark.com/in-the...rousel-gardens
    There's a train garden too: http://neworleanscitypark.com/in-the-park/train-garden