Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by blisstwins View Post
    ........I would not buy the Alhambra. Where I live they are pretty played out and many fakes of that style abound. (not saying they are not nice, but they are as close to Tiffany ubiquity as VC&A gets).
    I have yet to see it here, but yeah I immediately thought the same thing, and would be kind of easy to copy, kind of reminds me of the rainbow LV bags which really helped start that fake LV craze 15 yrs. ago.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I like them, but I wouldn't have anywhere to wear them to, maybe an occasional wedding, but overall they are just too dressy for me to get a lot of use out of them especially for the price. If you want something you are going to wear everyday I would look at David Yurman too as well as Tiffany. David Yurman is going to be contemporary and unique than Tiffany, but still very wearable and the quality is quite good from what I have heard.
    They are actually fairly small- from the picture they look big but if you click on the little image of a dress form in the lower right corner, it shows what they look like when worn. They are only ear studs. So that can't be that big. I think I like them. I was actually thinking they would be ok maybe not with yoga pants but with jeans and a nice sweater. As well as a wedding. Still no? Should I steer him toward something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamabear4 View Post
    But wow, that's quite a Mother's Day present. You're sure he's not feeling guilty about something, right? I only ask because you mentioned that he has trouble buying expensive jewelry.
    LOL. He is feeling guilty about something but it's not because he cheated. Blisstwins is right. He received a life- changing payment for the sale of his company that he built by himself and we were having trouble dealing with that around Christmas. But for the past 2-3 months we are in a really good place. This really is a "the-last-few-years-have-been-hard-and-you've-been-a trouper-and-so-you-deserve-something-big" gift. If we weren't in a good place then yeah, I'd be suspicious too!

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    OP: I hope your DH is experiencing a "wake-up call" to treat you well given all that you do for your family. I, too, don't like this ornate style of jewelry (it's too flashy for me) as I'd prefer something classic and simple that can be worn with my typical weekend wear (e.g., jeans, t-shirts, etc.). Plus, I also don't want to be targeted by thieves/robbers, but I'm paranoid that way. I like flying under the radar and VC&A is not jewelry that flies under the radar.
    Do you really think they are too big and flashy? If you take a look at the "worn view" maybe they will look smaller? I definitely don't want something flashy that makes me a target!

Quote Originally Posted by blisstwins View Post
    To also be fair, this DH built and sold a successful company and started another. My impression from posts over the last year is that your DH made a significant/life altering amount of money and can afford these kinds of purchases easily. My father had his own business and when he sold part of it he bought us all extravagant gifts--I think it was a kick to realize he could afford such things and he enjoyed it. It did not mean more than that.

I would not buy the Alhambra. Where I live they are pretty played out and many fakes of that style abound. (not saying they are not nice, but they are as close to Tiffany ubiquity as VC&A gets).
    Since DH showed me the earrings I've been shopping the VC&A website and I did see the Alhambras. They are pretty but I just thought they looked like they were a little too likely to go out of style.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 04-23-2015 at 01:34 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you love them? That is really the most important thing. He hasn't bought them yet and is giving you the opportunity to help choose, so I would make sure it's something you absolutely love. I would be floored if DH wanted to get me something like that. My style is a lot more simple and classic, so I'd lean in that direction - but I would consider this to be an heirloom piece to pass down (and insure).

I think this is a lesson to us all - be prepared - have your wish list diamonds picked out!

I think I am going to be lone voice of dissent, I love these earnings! I think they are gorgeous! They are small enough not to be obnoxious, yet have a lot more interest than studs. It would make a beautiful heirloom piece.
    ~ N

DD 12/10

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Gatorsmom, I would try them on in person, if you can. I usually wear real pearl studs (bought at Costco for $200 a few years ago) and small 14k gold childrens hoops in my 2nd hole (after DD1 pulled the 1/8th or so carat diamond studs from Kohls out of one ear at the park when she was 2 while I was holding her) so I am probably not the right person to ask in regards to fancy jewelry, but for everyday I do like simple and I would 1/2 to 3/4 carat diamond square studs w/ locking backs to wear on a daily basis, but I would also consider a pearl/diamond combo.

Tiffany Schramberger rose gold/diamond X earrings:
    http://m.tiffany.com/Mobile/Shopping...204&cid=287464

Tiffany Gold hoop earrings:
    Rose Gold http://m.tiffany.com/Mobile/Shopping...204&cid=287464

Tiffany Paloma Picasso pearl drop earrings in sterling:

Tiffany pearl diamond drop earrings:

David Yurman drop earrings:
    http://www.davidyurman.com/products/...FQOUfgodr7wAiQ
    http://www.davidyurman.com/products/...hbt&source=plp
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-23-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    I think this is a lesson to us all - be prepared - have your wish list diamonds picked out!
    Right.

Gatormom, I like those a lot. But as someone else said, I would prefer them as in a drop style. But that's because I prefer drop styles, hoops, etc. My cartilage is pierced so I wear a stud there, but I haven't worn studs in my lower ears since college. If you like them, go for it.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think they are pretty, but they are not my style. I tend to gravitate toward simple designs. If you don't already own them, I would get simple diamond studs as big as you can go. I feel studs can be worn daily and on more formal occasions. But if you love these, I don't think you can go wrong with Van Cleef and Arpels. I have to say, though, I think Tiffanys has some gorgeous pieces in their fine jewelry collection too. We were at their flagship store this winter and I was seriously drooling.

I do like them more now that you've pointed out the worn view & I agree that they can be worn with nicer casual stuff (designer jeans outfit)! I agree with a pp that ideally I'd want to try on -- especially since it seems to sit snug to the lobe and everyone's lobes and placement of piercing can vary so much.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like them! Gorgeous!

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think they are beautiful! They are unique (which is something I look for in jewelry) and they can be casual or dressy. I would absolutely wear these daily. I am not partial to drop earrings and I think that with something as unique and slightly ornate as this, the stud style allows it to be casual and dressy. Go for it!

When I was looking for unique dailywear-but-can-be-dressy earrings several years ago, I ended up going custom - there was a pair of drop earrings of which I liked the "drop" part. So the jeweler made the drop into a stud-like earring. Love it and get compliments all the time on how pretty but simple/classic they are.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast