Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default In desperate need of a sleep solution

I posted here a few weeks ago http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...ighlight=sleep.

DS2 WILL.NOT.SLEEP. through the night. I am at my wits end. Literally. DH has been gone all but 2 week days this month. DS is waking anywhere from 2-6 times a night. He won't fall asleep either. We tried the CIO version which did nothing. After a few hours I just had to give up. I mean, how long can the kid cry? So we tried to drop the nap, which did nothing but make the situation worse. He won't go to sleep even then and he won't stay asleep. I am so tired. I literally about fell asleep driving today. I have resorted to sitting by his door just so he'll go back to sleep but that isn't helping the situation at all and it isn't helping me get any sleep. He's been stuffy at night and doing this weird chew on his hand/sleeve thing lately so I don't know if that's part of the issue. We were just at the ENT today for a post-adenoidectomy checkup and she said he looks great. No congestion, etc. She suggested allergy testing which we were going to do next week anyway. Do I just let him cry all night long? Any other suggestions for underlying causes of this? I am at my wits end here. DS1 is not getting enough attention or getting to bed on time because I"m dealing with DS2. It's so hard with DH being gone, we just need a solution.

For example, he got up at 6 this morning, took a 20 minute nap in the car on the way to the dr.'s. And will not go to sleep. He's been screaming at me from his door for an hour. I sat by the door and he jumps on his bed or lays down and plays with his pillow. He's exhausted but will.not.go.to.sleep. I know the night wakings may stop if I can get him to go to bed on his own, but gee whiz, this is miserable!

ETA: Good grief, those typos are bad! I am fully sleep deprived I guess Also wanted to mention he's on Allegra for seasonal allergies.
    Last edited by MSWR0319; 04-23-2015 at 08:10 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd go in full survival mode- whatever works. For example, if you hate co-sleeping but it works, try that. Another question, is he growing/ hungry?

How old? I'd have a sleep study done.

Ds1 is a notoriously poor sleeper. The tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy helped, but I think he also has periodic limb movement disorder resulting from low ferritin (he has an abnormal hemoglobin trait.). As he's gotten older, his sleep has gotten better (he's 5.5 now.). But he tosses and turns all night.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

He doesn't seem hungry. His eating habits have been scattered though. Last night he wouldn't eat supper, then all of a sudden 20 minutes later he decided he was hungry and had two platefuls. I do think he might be growing, as we seem to be running out of clothes that fit.

toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I have never tried melatonin with DS, and I don't know if yours is too young, but I might talk to your ped about doing a short-term trial of it. He might be too young, but would he listen to a relaxation CD? (google this on amazon).

When DS was that age he started sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag (after a lot of sleep issues). Would your DS sleep in a tent in his room?!

I can hear your desperation...so sorry!

Could he be low on magnesium? I'd try an epsom salt bath with Natural calm or magnesium oil of the soles of the feet. Careful with the oil though b/c will sting if there's an open cut.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    How old? I'd have a sleep study done.

Ds1 is a notoriously poor sleeper. The tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy helped, but I think he also has periodic limb movement disorder resulting from low ferritin (he has an abnormal hemoglobin trait.). As he's gotten older, his sleep has gotten better (he's 5.5 now.). But he tosses and turns all night.
    Sorry I didn't put that, he'll be 3 next week!

At that age, ds1 was waking that frequently. We co-slept, which helped.. Try natural calm. Didn't help with my DS though
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Could the allegra be hyping him up further? i am so sorry, that is so rough!
    I thought about that, but it was going on before we started the Allegra. Maybe I'll stop just to test the theory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast