Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    MamaInMarch is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Does your SO attend non-routine appts for your child?

Just curious. I expect my DH to take a personal day from work and attend any non-routine appointments for our kids. I consider standard childhood illness to be "routine" (no days off for a visit concerning an ear infection for example). But things like evaluations for therapy and bigger testing, etc. Is this common for SOs to do or no?

ETA another question: Does your SO's job/line of work affect your decision as to whether or not he/she attends? (I ask because my DH has personal days that he either uses or loses so it's not a penalty to him to take them.)
    Last edited by MamaInMarch; 04-24-2015 at 09:11 AM.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaInMarch View Post
    Just curious. I expect my DH to take a personal day from work and attend any non-routine appointments for our kids. I consider standard childhood illness to be "routine" (no days off for a visit concerning an ear infection for example). But things like evaluations for therapy and bigger testing, etc. Is this common for SOs to do or no?
    I don't expect DH to go to the kids' nonroutine doctor visits unless he wants to be there. I usually take notes and let him know what the doc said. UNLESS it is something very serious that we have been waiting to hear about. Ds3 has some special needs and and I don't think DH has missed any work to be there for therapy or testing. I just relay back to him what the doc or therapist said.

eta- sorry, totally read the op wrong. Changed my post to reflect that.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 04-24-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No. I handle those things solo.

MamaInMarch is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree. Does he attend the bigger, non-routine stuff? For example, the parent interview portion of an evaluation or testing that is non-routine?

Depends on the severity of the issue and whether DH can get off. His schedule is pretty rigid, so if it's an important consult, I try to schedule it around his appointment. Dh did go to DS2s urology consult but not the surgical follow up or the ENT consult. When I was pregnant, he only came to the level 2 ultrasound.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    No. I handle those things solo.
    This. DH rarely attends, routine, non-routine, doesn't matter.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

My DH works at a flexible company so it isn't a big deal for him to take a few hours and go to an appointment. He would go to anything non routine and helps with the routine things too although that doesn't mean we'll both go. Sometimes it's better for one parent and child to go than for all four of us to go. For instance, he took DS to get his vaccination recently because I knew it would be a big deal for DS. DH did have to hold him down for it, and I didn't want DS2 to see that.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

No I don't expect it for "standard non-routine visits" (does that even make sense??). He goes to the first peds appt after birth, then the only other thing I expect him at would be a surgery or psych/ therapy exam where parents are specifically requested to be interviewed, etc.

ETA: if his schedule is a barrier to getting the eval scheduled, I go solo.

We haven't had anything nonroutine but for us a lot of it would depend on how serious it was and what else is going on. Right now DH is trying to save up time off for the baby in August.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

nope DH and I do the best we can but non urgent but non routine (eg eye appointment following ER visit which showed bad sight; hearing tests for poor hearing; eval for tonsils out etc were all done solo. Brain scans for tumors were done together.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast