Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Urgent - please help re DC fever

I can't get DC's fever to come down. It's at 104. I gave Advil almost an hour ago. We have never experienced this before. Advil always brings down fevers for us, and DC has never had a fever that high. What do I do?

History:
    Last night DC had 100.5 fever at bedtime, no meds. Woke up at 2am miserable, still 100.5, so gave Advil. Went back to sleep. This morning 100 fever. DC complained of a minor tummy ache but nothing else. At 11am, DC vomited (first time - has never vomited before), and fever spiked to 103.8. DC was miserable, gave Advil, fever came down to normal, DC then acted almost normal, took DC to pedi. Pedi did strep swab, tested urine, checked out abdomen, ears, etc -- all looked normal, pedi said it is a virus. DC has been in great spirits all day while Advil was working. DC started to fall apart right at the 6hr mark when Advil was wearing off. Fever spiked to 104 again, was miserable, I gave Advil. It has been an hour, and DC is acting a little bit better (more energy), but the fever itself is reading almost the same. We are using Exergen temporal thermometer which we have always used.

Pedi told me to go to ER if fever hits 105 which it hasn't. It is bedtime now, and I'm worried about sending DC to bed with a fever of 104. What do I do?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

2 hr after giving advil give tylonel. But if its a virus there isn't much else to do. Cool cloth on the head check in a few hours. I always slept with mine if they had fevers like that.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd monitor closely. I would also alternate between Motrin and Tylenol, so at the 3 hr mark give Tylenol, and then 3 hrs later Advil, etc. Have you tried a lukewarm bath? That may help too.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My ds2 used to run high fevers. Our ped didn't have us worry about a number and to pay attention to how he was doing. So, the times ds2 was in the 103-105 range, right when I'd start to worry, I'd take a deep breath and see how he was aside from the number. He was always fine- not lethargic or really worrisome. Obviously not feeling great but nothing that really raised alarms. You say your ds is acting better now- I'd relax some. But, you might as well call your Dr. since I think that will make you feel better.
    Have you read Dr. Sears regarding fevers? He's good at talking people down too.

Thanks yes I have read Dr Sears and did just earlier today. Our pedi said go to ER if above 105, so that's why I'm freaking out since 104 seems awfully close to 105. Our pedi said not to alternate so not sure what to do. I have a call into after hours advice nurse.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I too usually alternate, but a COOL not cold shower usually brings a temp down. and dress in cool clothes - undies and a Tshirt. popscicles to sip on can help and make them feel a bit better

My kids run fevers like this reasonably frequently
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Call a pharmacist you trust if there is a 24 hour one near you and ask their opinion. We've always done the 3 hour back and forth to keep the fever down. If you wait the 6 hours to administer the ibuprofen again, it will spike every time, in my experience anyway.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I rarely had to alternate but it was mainly with my oldest. He was my high fever kid. I slept with my hand on their back and could tell if it spiked higher in the night. You can also tell when their fever breaks they become a little sweat ball
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

So DC is 4yo. Please walk me through this. We gave Advil at 6pm. So do I give a full dose of Tylenol at 9pm, then another full dose of Advil at midnight? Is it okay to do that on an empty stomach since DC will refuse to eat? And then do I give more Tylenol at 3am, and then more Advil at 6am (if needed)? Isn't that all unsafe on the liver?

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I too usually alternate, but a COOL not cold shower usually brings a temp down. and dress in cool clothes - undies and a Tshirt. popscicles to sip on can help and make them feel a bit better

My kids run fevers like this reasonably frequently
    Ok so put to bed in short sleeves- that won't make the body too cool and then try to warm itself back up? Like how my pedi told me not to put cool washcloth on forehead since that can actually raise a fever? Geez we have just never seen this high of a fever before. Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast