Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What do you pay your adult babysitter?

$18-20 an hour HCOL and three kids (one is fifth grade and no babies). We round up and usually tip as they are usually good about straightening up too. This is for a college grad who is a nanny or certified teacher or our nanny who has child development 4 year degree. Just recently we had one high school senior sit a couple of times when we've fone to dinner, and she was good and we paid her the same rate and she was thrilled.
    Last edited by HannaAddict; 04-25-2015 at 03:14 AM. Reason: added detail

MCOL area $15/hr for adult in her early 20s with an early childhood degree.

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Somewhere between MCOL and HCOL, our babysitter was in nursing school when we hired her and now she's a NICU nurse. We pay $20 per hour, and hope she will always sit for us if available.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

$15/hour for one kid or $20/hr for two kids. Our babysitter is one of DD2s preschool teachers who is in her 20s. But this seems to be the going rate.

for Sandy Hook

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My college sitters, I pay $12 an hour. Usually it's just one kid, but older DD doesn't really "need" a sitter. But the sitter will help with homework, prod her to do homework, make meals for both kids, drive them places, etc.

One I found on care.com and the other works at after care.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We pay $15 an hour for 2 kids

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

$10/hr for a college student in MCOL.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We pay $15/hr for our 21 yo sitter. That's for three kids. Eldest child is 11, so doesn't need much. When we hired her years ago, she was going to college, working at a preschool, worked at a bounce house place, had CPR and first aid training. I am okay with a sitter putting on a movie, but she said she likes to engage with the kids. She bakes with them, does art projects with them, sets up obstacle courses, plays games, and cleans up. She's professional and on time. We often round up and tip for holidays, etc.

When we hire high school students, I typically pay more like $10-12/hr, but will go higher if they have cpr or first aid training, or if they really engage more with the kids vs. putting on a movie every time.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

College kids get $15 and actual adults (our old nanny, for example) get $18-20. 3 kids, HCOL.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The last time I used a college aged sitter almost two years ago he charged me $10 an hour (he is my daycare provider's son, and was 19 at the time). I do think the going rate in my hcol area is $12-$15 an hour. I tried paying my high school age sitter $10 an hour last summer (she had just turned 16) and her mother told me that was too much so now I pay her $8 an hour, although we have rounded up because it is easier.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast