Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I have no problem with R movies in later elementary/middle school in general. However, that movie is awful.
    Last edited by alexsmommy; 04-27-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

not familiar with the movie but broadly speaking I wouldn't be happy and would speak with the teacher
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With the movie being edited, is it still an R movie? Does the edited version come with a different rating?

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Considering dd1 is in 3rd grade and hasnt seen a pg movie yet, Um, yes, I'd be livid. Surely there are other historical movies/tv shows that could be shown?
    Most Disney movies are PG. she hasn't seen any of those??

My class watches a movie a month, and I've shown Frozen, Lego Movie, etc, both of which are PG. my students have seen movies I would never see myself.

As for the OP, it wouldn't bother me in 5th grade.

I have a 5th grader and it would bother me. I have a hang up with movies in general being shown in school. I just think there are better ways to reward kids.

Ratings just can't reveal everything about a movie. My first grader was so upset by a g-rated movie last year he left the classroom.

I would be perturbed that school showed an R rated movie to my child without permission. A separate issue is the teacher thinking the Patriot has any historical value. Sounds like a whole big bunch of bad judgment from that teacher. And yes, I would say something.

Corie is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    In hindsight, as a parent now, I have no problem with a film about a historical topic being shown in school even if r rated. And as this version you said was heavily edited, I would be fine.

I agree.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I remember watching Glory in jr. high. I highly doubt my parents were notified. In hindsight, as a parent now, I have no problem with a film about a historical topic being shown in school even if r rated. And as this version you said was heavily edited, I would be fine.
    I completely agree with this assessment. I don't recall seeing Glory in jr. high (SnuggleBuggles and I are the same age), but I know my brother did and he is 3 yrs. younger so was in jr. high from 92-95.

OP I honestly had to look up The Patriot to see it was rated R, I thought it was PG-13.

I think that the movie rating system in general is grossly conservative these days. Many rated PG movies really should be G (the Shrek series comes to mind, which I think is a much more kid friendly choice than say Toy Story 3, both movies are PG, but IMHO Toy Story 3 was the more adult movie of the two). I am sure I can argue the same with PG-13 and R rated movies as well, there are some PG and PG-13 movies that should have been R, but a lot of historical movies which are R simply because they are about the truth of war.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think you should share this your child's teacher:

http://www.studythepast.com/patriotreview.pdf

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Pissed. DS is in 5th grade and that level of violence would upset him, despite his interest in military history. He is beginning to personalize (internalize?) what he reads/sees, and while this is important to his growth as a person, he's more sensitive now than when he was when younger. Kids know by 5th grade that life is not all rainbows and butterflies but how deeply we push the issue is something I am struggling with.

eta: I was disturbed by that movie and images from it "haunt" me, specifically those the teacher showed.
    Last edited by rlu; 04-27-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast