Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    This makes my head hurt. Almonds are a tree nut.

Raw cashew butter is delish!
    agree! they most surely grow on trees.

I prefer to avoid the aflatoxin, so we eat PB only on occasion. the kids eat almond butter sandwiches about 3-4 days per week for lunches. I buy the fresh almond butter from Natural Grocers, and then mix in some coconut oil at home, to give it the creamy "more like store PB' texture. I am planning to try making sunbutter this summer, and if all goes well, will sub in some for the almond butter sandwiches, just for some variety.

eta: I also make cashew butter, that I usually cut half and half with sour cream, and we eat it as sour cream. its very easy...soak cashews overnight, drain and blend (blender or food processor), adding back in enough water for a smooth texture.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    agree! they most surely grow on trees.
    They sure do. I've heard so much talk of almond trees and how much water they need to grow (a gallon per almond!) with our current CA drought situation. All of the almond milk and almond butter has been great for farmers, but terrible for our water supply.

The almond butter at Trader Joe's is pretty tasty and not too expensive. We're big fans of it with apple slices.

Hi everyone,

OP here - thank you so much for your posts - ok, I think I will start back to the almond butter path. I, too, am a bit worried about the aflatoxin, but I generally have accepted it as a (yet another) that is just another risk / thing to watch out for in our environment.
    Almond butter sounds more healthy (in my head) and I will give it a try to mix it up a bit and get my kids eating more (or at least more diversely).

It's really impressive that many of you are making your own nut butters - I am far far off from doing that at this point! I will settle for Trader Joes - it's probably not nearly as good as yours

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We use almond butter due to allergies. DS is peanut allergic. But his class at school is "no-nuts" so for school he has sunflower seed butter. Watch out for Trader Joe's almond butter - it also contains cashews.... or at least it did the last time I bought it.
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2