Default Safety questions re Car Seat Canopies and Sofie the Giraffe

Hi all, I was thinking of buying a car seat canopy as my 4 month old is horrible at napping on the go, but I've found that if I cover his carseat with a muslin blanket he'll stay asleep more easily in there. I was curious about the thickness/breathablility though of the canopies (like this one:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A37ZSWO6PFG1ND). He seemed to get really hot in the carseat even with just the thin muslin blanket over it. I don't want to overheat him, but it's not so easy keeping him asleep if I don't have a cover while we're out and the blanket blows right off.

Also, I recall years ago when my other child was an infant that many were concerned about the sofie the giraffe teether being a choking hazard because of its long legs, kids were putting them in their mouth and gagging. Has this changed? I was gifted one and would love to use it, but wanted to check.

Thanks!

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We had a Sophie the Giraffe and used it without any problems.

I wouldn't worry about the canopy as long as there are small openings for air movement.

HTH
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have used both without any problems. I think the concern about Sophie is a little overrated. I can't see babies choking on her, although I can see possible gagging. I guess I would just pull the toy out and help baby reposition it...? We have used Sophie for several kids with no problem. My kids are usually pretty young while using Sophie, so I am usually close by supervising anyway.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

There is a difference between gagging and choking. I cannot see any way that Sophie would actually asphyxiate a baby thigh the legs might gag them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A child can gag themselves on anything including their fingers We had a sophie for ds4 w/ no issues I guess I should say non that I observed but once a child figures out now to shove things into the back of their throat the situation is resolved
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions