TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Recaro Performance Sport Harnessed Booster question

We just purchased the Recaro Performance Sport harnessed booster for DD1. Can the seat cushion insert and the HERO harness pads be removed? I contacted Recaro but they gave me a noncommittal answer, essentially saying that they test the seat with both items and so they can't comment on the safety of the seat (either way) if they are removed.

I can't see how removing the seat cushion insert would matter, but removing the HERO harness pads might. I think DD feels claustrophobic with both.

For reference, here's the page from the manual showing the different parts of the seat; I highlighted the seat cushion insert and the HERO harness pads.
    7220274_REV000 Performance Sport Manual 18.jpg

Lemme see what I can find out... hang on...
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Ok, yes to optional... http://carseatblog.com/24022/recaro-...rmance-indeed/
    Seems like you might want to give them another try or raise the harness a notch to make things more comfy...?
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Ok, yes to optional... http://carseatblog.com/24022/recaro-...rmance-indeed/
    Seems like you might want to give them another try or raise the harness a notch to make things more comfy...?
    Thanks! I have the harness right at her shoulders right now, and it looks like the photo on the left of the girl in the pink dress (funny that's DD's exact height too). I'll try raising it one notch. I can't find anything about the seat cushion being optional but I only scanned the page, did I miss it?

I wish I had seen that review before we bought the seat but I don't know if it would have changed our decision. The seatbelt install looks a little funky, and she notes that it might not be the best booster. Oh well. DD1 is not even 30 lbs, so we have a while to go before I have to worry about un-LATCHing and removing the harness. We really like this one in the store because DD was able to buckle and tighten it herself, which at age 5.5 I feel is important (I'm ok if she can't get out of it herself, ha!). We tried so many other seats (including a few versions on the SecureKid) and she told me she just wasn't comfortable. Maybe it's just because she's 5. She's going to have to get used to the SecureKid eventually though because that's what we're going to buy for the grandparents (or maybe the Chase or Maestro, NOT spending $200+ on a third or fourth occasional use seat!)

Sorry that was so long!

ETA: Interesting comment she has about the cup holders. That was one feature I actually liked. I thought they might hold a water bottle tighter so it would not go flying out in the event of an accident or sudden stop. I can see how they might be hard to use though.

ETA2: The Recaro manual says that the seat of the car should be upright. The reviewer notes this too. DH has a Rav 4 and the upright position is REALLY upright, almost past 90 degrees. How necessary is it for the seat to be in the most upright position before installing the car seat?
    Last edited by TwoBees; 05-01-2015 at 11:28 AM.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I know she (Jennie the Reviewer) loves loves loves that seat, so I *thought* I had posted the review for you, but really I must have been just going by her effusive adoration of it when I recommended it .
    Butt padding on ever other seat is optional, so I wouldn't worry a bit about removing it. Probably since the seat is rated for 1 year old's (oy...), it's mainly intended for them.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    I know she (Jennie the Reviewer) loves loves loves that seat, so I *thought* I had posted the review for you, but really I must have been just going by her effusive adoration of it when I recommended it .
    Butt padding on ever other seat is optional, so I wouldn't worry a bit about removing it. Probably since the seat is rated for 1 year old's (oy...), it's mainly intended for them.
    You might have posted the review, and I might have missed it. I often view the boards from my phone and the links get funky...

I just finished reading the entire review and it's almost as if I had written it. She had exactly the same issues and loves that I did. It was very funny. The seat is really nice and cushy but low profile...I wish the driver's seat of my car was like that! Ok, last two questions I promise.

1. The Recaro manual says that the seat of the car should be upright. The reviewer notes this too. DH has a Rav 4 and the upright position is REALLY upright, almost past 90 degrees. How necessary is it for the seat to be in the most upright position before installing the car seat?

2. The reviewer notes that she seat does not have lockoffs for seatbelt install. I think you said in another one of my posts that lockoffs aren't really necessary with most newer cars because the seatbelts lock? Did I interpret/remember that correctly? We may have to install with a seatbelt occasionally if I need to move the seat to the middle or someone else's car.

Thanks again Jools. You ARE the best!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I always fudge the rules on 'upright', since cars can vary so much. Three notches of recline on the RAV-4, for example, might be the same as 'totally upright' on my Mazda 5. The test bench is really upright, so I *suspect* that they want you to mimic the bench to replicate the same performance. As long as you get a solid install, a little recline is ok.
    I think they always mention (lack of) lockoffs on all their reviews, just because lockoffs can mean a super fast, super solid install (and then they can educate about locking seatbelts, which is one of the main problems we see in the field). So yeah, a seatbelt install with locking the belts should be just fine, really, when you get to that point (what's the LATCH limit? 40lbs?).

You're welcome, this 'job' is one of my favorites. BB'ers are awesome
    Julie