Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default On the fence about turning DD FF

Hi, everyone, sorry I have been MIA for so long, life has been keeping us pretty busy.

DD is 34 months old, she's a peanut (under 5th percentile for both weight and height), still riding RF in her Boulevard, which has about a year left before expiring. DS rode that same seat RF until 3.5, when he reached the weight limit (it's an older model so 35 lb). Even though DD is well under the limit (and she'll be until High school probably LOL), she gets quite restless now. But the reason I'm starting to consider turning her around is that she suffered a stroke at birth and has high muscle tone as a result. When her spasticity gets bad, getting her in the car seat is getting really hard because it's not easy to bend her legs. So I keep thinking why not just turn her around already and make our lives easier but then I feel guilty because she can still ride RF and she's safer that way.

So what would you do? She's barely 25 pounds and about 34 inches tall.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 05-12-2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD1 (my peanut) was older when we turned her at 3.5 years, but weighed less. I don't recall what she weighed exactly but she is under 30 lbs now at age 5.5 years. I'm thinking she was about 22 lbs. In your case, I would turn your DD if it would make life easier for you and your family (although I'm sure there are posters here who would disagree with me). You've done a great job!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    DD1 (my peanut) was older when we turned her at 3.5 years, but weighed less. I don't recall what she weighed exactly but she is under 30 lbs now at age 5.5 years. I'm thinking she was about 22 lbs. In your case, I would turn your DD if it would make life easier for you and your family (although I'm sure there are posters here who would disagree with me). You've done a great job!
    Thanks! I think I'll try to hold off until her birthday. It would also make preschool drop off and pick up easier (she starts in August and the school staff help them get in and out, parents aren't supposed to get out of the car).
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Special circumstances change all the rules.... and you have still done a super awesome fantastic job keeping her RF this long
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Special circumstances change all the rules.... and you have still done a super awesome fantastic job keeping her RF this long
    Thanks Jools! So does the low weight and small size make it a bigger risk to FF or is more of an age thing? Our special circumstances also mean that I've become really paranoid and over protective!
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

More of an age thing, it's time that matures the bones and ligaments. Like, a 35 pound one year old still has those soft bones of a one year old, a 35 pound 5 yo still has the developed bones of a 5 yo (unless there is a bone disease at play, for instance). Weight recommendations are based more on dummy sizes than anything else, just generally 'average' dummies, at that.
    Julie

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was wondering that too. My dd is 33ish months, but weighs 23 or 24 lbs and is super short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty conservative about turning them--DS1 was almost 3.5 when we turned him and 45lbs/at the height limit of his seat, but I would turn in the situation you describe also. Honestly you have done better rf'ing than probably 90% of the population.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

I'd say better than 99.5 percent.
    Julie

Thanks again Jools. My DH was putting her into her seat yesterday and exclaimed that we should turn her FF already because it's getting harder to fit her in there. I just said "Yeah, I've been thinking about it". Also we flew out of town and took the travel seat we had for DS (Maestro) for the plane and taxi rides and she got to ride FF for the first time ever. When we got back home she protested that she wanted the other seat (Maestro), LOL. I told her we could turn her seat this weekend (and then DS protested that he had to ride RF for a longer time, there's no pleasing this crowd, LOL).
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast