Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Backless is fine for an 8 yo, maybe a Harmony (the cheap one at Walmart) or Cosco Top Side (the cheap one at Target) will be easier to buckle than a Bubble Bum, possibly even an Evenflo Big Kid because it's got biggish armholes to reach through for buckling next to another seat.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    Intriguing idea. The only issue I can think of is mine. My sacroiliac will be totally blown by the time I have the baby, and I'm not sure how well I will be able to climb in the trunk to buckle my daughter in the RF Boulevard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could the 8 yo do the buckling for you? I let my older kids buckle the younger and sometimes I reach back for a quick tug check but I don't usually need to.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Is busing available? I know some people can bus but don't. Obviously you need a permanent car seat solution but maybe if you didn't have to make as many trips, you can get by with a different solution.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids go to private school in the next city, and my city refuses to bus there. My son may be able to go on the bus, as he is switching schools next year. In any case, I have to get through the summer, and will need seating for everyone before school is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    My kids go to private school in the next city, and my city refuses to bus there. My son may be able to go on the bus, as he is switching schools next year. In any case, I have to get through the summer, and will need seating for everyone before school is an issue.

Gotcha. Our school district is required to provide busing to any school, private or charter, up to 15 miles away. It's a lovely thing.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Gotcha. Our school district is required to provide busing to any school, private or charter, up to 15 miles away. It's a lovely thing.
    Not to hijack, but how common is this? Definitely not true around here, but my DGD1 in NE takes a bus to her private school. (Her bus only goes to independent private and parochial schools.) I think it's a state requirement, not just district.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    They used to but suddenly decided not to get up the effort to transport kids 5 minutes away. Notably, the next city will bus kids here, and their taxes are lower (and they get more effective snow plowing).

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Not to hijack, but how common is this? Definitely not true around here, but my DGD1 in NE takes a bus to her private school. (Her bus only goes to independent private and parochial schools.) I think it's a state requirement, not just district.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Here it varies 100% by school district. Though, I think if the district does offer busing that they have to provide it as I described. There are districts without busing though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2