OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default DS1 is growing up and I have outgrown seats/expired seats, WTD?

We have a 2010 Oddy that the kids ride in 99% of the time. The other 1% is in DH's 2013 F-150 Super Crew Cab.

In my car I have DS1 (8.5) in a FR85 and he has less than 1 inch left in it's harness.
    DS2 (7) in a FR85 with plenty of room.
    DD (4) RF'ing in a Clek Foonf and will be until she's grown (she's still only 26.5 lbs and under 36 inches total height).

In DH's F-150 DS1 uses a size Small Ride Safer Travel Vest that he has now outgrown
    DS2 uses a size Small Ride Safer Travel Vest that is getting close to being outgrown
    DD FF in a 35 lb rear facing limit Classic Style Britax Blvd but it expires in July

I could take DS1's FR85 and put it in the F-150 for DD to use since her seat in DH's truck expires in July. I need advice for what to shuffle around and/or purchase for everyone. Bottom line is safety, next up (and very close to 1st) is comfort, and lastly is cost. I know DS1 wants a HBB for my Oddy because in his own words he likes to be hugged by his seat. I do also want a HBB for my car that has latch because he's in the 3rd row and I don't want to mess around with the hassle of repositioning it each time we get in and out. Should I also get DS2 a inexpensive HBB to use for DH's truck or two bubblebums for both boys since they ride in DH's truck so infrequently?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheap light backlesses are fine in DH's truck, thinking Harmony Youth (walmart 12$) is the lowest profile narrowest choice, though Evenflo Amp has great leg support and higher armrests, if it's not too deep for the truck seat (no 'overhang' allowed in boosters like you can have in harnessed seats). BubbleBums are ok, but the others are cheaper and can feel less tippy, so can be more comfortable and easier to buckle. Also, just in case the seat is really tiny, try the 5 step test before you see if you even need anything (feet flat on the floor, butt all the way back, belt on hips and shoulder). I haven't been in the back of an F-150 lately, so I don't know how big it is!
    Recaro Performance Booster is probably the tallest comfiest one for the Oddy, though the Diono Monterey might also work great, Britax Parkway SG-L, or Chicco KidFit (at Target, not the tallest choice, but at least you can find it easily IRL!).

Kids just ran in, correct me if I missed some details!
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Cheap light backlesses are fine in DH's truck, thinking Harmony Youth (walmart 12$) is the lowest profile narrowest choice, though Evenflo Amp has great leg support and higher armrests, if it's not too deep for the truck seat (no 'overhang' allowed in boosters like you can have in harnessed seats). BubbleBums are ok, but the others are cheaper and can feel less tippy, so can be more comfortable and easier to buckle. Also, just in case the seat is really tiny, try the 5 step test before you see if you even need anything (feet flat on the floor, butt all the way back, belt on hips and shoulder). I haven't been in the back of an F-150 lately, so I don't know how big it is!
    Recaro Performance Booster is probably the tallest comfiest one for the Oddy, though the Diono Monterey might also work great, Britax Parkway SG-L, or Chicco KidFit (at Target, not the tallest choice, but at least you can find it easily IRL!).

Kids just ran in, correct me if I missed some details!
    Actually, Dh's F-150 has super roomy back seats. Latch on outboard seats and I have done three in a row easily with their FR85's and a Blvd. Deep seats.

Well, that's good, then AMPs or Harmony Transits are really nice backlesses (Transit also has a LATCH version), Affix is ok, better than Turbo in the long run since it's deeper.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thank you so much for all of this info! Now to find places to test them all out!