Default Anyone near RTP, NC?

We're considering trying to relocate from PA to RTP-area, NC within the next few years. I'm trying to get some information regarding the different areas & their commute to RTP, schools, information about any areas where new highways/construction is planned, etc. Looking for any other general information on experiences from those that are familiar with the area. Feel free to PM if you prefer - thank you!
    -----------------------
    Karen

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My sister and her husband work in RTP. They live in Hillsborough (Orange County) and have about a 35-40 minute commute. Kids go to Orange County schools and have had a great experience. They love Hillsborough. She and I both went to school in Chapel Hill and I lived in Raleigh for 5 years. WRAL is a local tv station that seems to have a lot of information on their website. You may find some resources there. I really like that area and would move back if I could (now in eastern NC).
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sent a PM your way
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dh worked in Raleigh so we lived there. I liked the inside the belt line neighborhoods. We lived in Five Points for a while. I prefer older neighborhoods to new construction subdivisions. But there are tons of good options around. I didn't love the area much when we were there- cities were too small and too much sprawl- but we went back for spring break last year and I really think it's a fabulous place to have a young family. I'd now move back.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I live in Franklin County, so East of Raleigh, even further from RTP, but lots of people make that commute.

As far as new highways planned, they're currently working on I-40/440 in Raleigh, and will be for about 2 years. Once that's complete, they're supposed to start work on 40 south of Raleigh. And, there's the "Will they/won't they" discussion about completing I-540 around Raleigh. The southern part of that loop is being contested because of human & natural environmental concerns. In Durham, they're finally starting construction of the East End Connector. But, for the most part, no big new highways are planned for the area.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

We live in Cary and my husband works in RTP. He has a 15 minute commute. My son goes to a WCPSS middle school and we have been pretty pleased (was at a private Catholic school previously). I think you definitely need to visit and get a feel for what you like. We moved here in 1998 and have witnessed the huge transformation. I personally love Cary and wouldn't want to be anywhere else but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I would recommend visiting the City Data site for the Triangle. Lots of good info there.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm in cary too. We love it here. Feel free to pm me with specific questions.

We are also in Cary with kids in Wake County public schools. Love the area for raising a family. Quality of life is pretty good. PM me if you have any questions.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl