flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Botox and Juvederm

So I have an appointment to get both next week. Absolutely terrified. Not because I am scared I will look weird, but I don't want to die because I don't like my parenthesis around my mouth! Same reason I don't get a boob job. How risky are the procedures? What does Botox feel like - is it a numb feeling or frustrating to not be able to move the muscles? Is Juvederm the best filler to use? Any experience and opinion on safety is greatly appreciated!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have not had them done because I read that it can trigger an autoimmune disease if dormant. I have no known autoimmune issues but there are a lot of autoimmune diseases in my family, so I have erred on the safe side. OTOH, I've had friends who have had it done, and all are fine (although one looked a bit disfigured for 2 weeks after a filler).

you will be fine - it is a small sting with the botox. which areas are you getting? juvaderm isn't bad if you ice right before the procedure (when you are in the exam chair). the numbing from ice is enough to make the juvaderm tolerable. In terms of triggering autoimmune diseases, i just did a quick lit search (not just googling but actualy medical journals) and didn't see any case reports or anything linking the two/three.

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've had both at once. The needles sting a tiny bit with botox. I had the Juvederm that has lidocaine in it for pain and that made me nauseous like all pain killers do. Once the stuff is administered you don't notice it. Your forehead won't feel any different. It will be fine. Nothing to worry about.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

My stepmom had some sort of thing done involving injecting some,thing into her cheeks (some long strand of something) and she has had MAJOR issues...abscesses on her face, visiting a different deem to try to dissolve the thing, and potential surgery. It's awful. She says it's her punishment for being vain.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Make sure that you go to board certified plastic surgeon for your injections. Lots of people can now administer injections, and they really shouldn't. That's when you get complications.

I have botox a few times and juvederm once. I go to the nurse practicioner at a well-respected local hospital and have never had any problems. The first time I got botox, I did get a headache afterwards but that only happened the first time.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for all the replies, I do feel better. I have still been googling all the worst case scenarios and am super nervous, but going to go ahead anyway with it this afternoon!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014