Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Update/request for more suggestions #10: Need to learn how to wear make-up again

So, I have not worn make-up since after I finished high school. It was the norm to wear make-up at my high school and the norm to not wear make-up at the college I went to. Now I am 47, and think it would be a good idea to start wearing some mostly to conceal, blend in, whatever for my dark spots, wrinkles, etc. I also have very puffy under the eye areas , but I don't know that there's anything I can do for that. I am currently only putting a moisturizer/sunscreen I have been using the Hado Labo stuff. I want to stay pretty natural looking as far as the look, but feel I need some light makeup or something.

So, I am looking to learn everything from what type of products (what kind of foundation and what else?) to buy and how to apply them. I am looking to stay on the inexpensive side of things. Is there any place that does pretty decent makeovers that, if they're expensive can transfer to other brands? Any good videos you know of? Any advice in general?tha

thanks!

PS_-I just read something about covergirl foundation plus oil of olay. Is this any good?
    Last edited by JustMe; 07-04-2015 at 01:03 AM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Need to laarn how to wear make-up again

Go to Sephora. You can learn what colors and types of products work and then transfer those ideas to cheaper stuff. Ulta might do makeovers and they sell some cheaper drugstore brands. My mom used to take me to the Clinique counter and they did nice work. They have good products too. Sephora and Ulta have more brands to offer though.
    Eta- I like Everyday Minerals foundation. Creams, liquid and powder look less natural on me. I ordered cheap trial sizes from them to figure out the right products.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I absolutely love youtube for makeup reviews and techniques! Here are a couple links to some channels I really love!
    Lisa Eldridge https://www.youtube.com/user/lisaeldridgedotcom
    Kate at the small things blog https://www.youtube.com/user/K8bryan
    Beauty broadcast https://www.youtube.com/user/emilynoel83
    Essiebutton https://www.youtube.com/user/essiebutton

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Go to Sephora. You can learn what colors and types of products work and then transfer those ideas to cheaper stuff. Ulta might do makeovers and they sell some cheaper drugstore brands. My mom used to take me to the Clinique counter and they did nice work. They have good products too. Sephora and Ulta have more brands to offer though.
    Eta- I like Everyday Minerals foundation. Creams, liquid and powder look less natural on me. I ordered cheap trial sizes from them to figure out the right products.
    I agree with this. Over time I've also found the products that make the biggest difference for the least effort for me. I went all out thinking I needed everything when I started wearing makeup regularly in my 20s and over time realized a routine of tinted moisturizer/blush/mascara/brow powder/light eyeliner/eyeshadow and tinted lip balm or nude lipstick is plenty for everyday.

I've found that it makes the most sense to buy foundation somewhere like Sephora or counter to get the shade and coverage matched well. I get ideas for the other products but can generally find drugstore brands that work well for mascara, lipstick, etc. I usually ask the person applying the makeup which products will make the biggest difference so I get some guidance on what to purchase and which items I would really use. The makeup artists are working retail and are generally on a budget too so they totally get that we can't buy every $$$ product at once. I try to write down the other products I liked for the future and will either save up for them or look online for cheaper options.

I love MakeupAlley for product reviews. As fair warning a lot of the reviewers are makeup-obsessed teens/early 20s so the advice doesn't always carry over but I think they have a filter for reviewer age and I've learned a ton there.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can't pick colors to save my life so I like to go to a "make-up counter". MAC is my favorite. I went in a while back and asked for help picking a natural looking eyeshadow palette. Two of the three colors were so much darker than I ever would have picked. But once they were on my face, they were perfect, much better than what I would have come up with on my own.

Also, I recommend buying good makeup brushes. They are worth every penny.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree with using youtube. I'm asian american and wore some make up during HS, and then none during college and then just a little after college and then 15yrs later, now I'm in my 40's and I started working full time a year ago after being a sahm for 10 yrs and felt the now need to wear make up. My complexion isn't awful, but it's more dull than before. I sought out make up blogs on youtube by asian amerin women, due to how tricky it can be to apply eye make up for asian shaped eyes as well as seeking some guidance on choosing the foundations that worked for my skin tone, since that can be tricky for asian skin tones. I love tarte's BB primer and basically use that as my foundation. I did not like their amazonian clay, but as someone who isn't used to wearing heavy make up, I think the BB primer is the best of both worlds, not too heavy, but gave me enough coverage to smoothen out my complexion. I love urban decay eye liners, shadow and primer. I've tried several different brands now, from drugstore to higher end and I still reach for my urban decay. I am still not a big lipstick person. I drink a lot of coffee and water at work, so it seems pointless to wear lipstick. Anyway, I did have to practice a lot at the beginning and I would say that now that it's been a yr, it's second nature to me to apply make up for it seemed like it took a good 6 mo (I wear make up at leat 5-6 days a wk) before I felt like I didn't have to put a lot of effort into it.
    Last edited by hellokitty; 05-30-2015 at 04:39 PM.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am kind of at the same point. Haven't worn makeup in years and decided I should start again.

I went to Ulta the other day and had them help me find a foundation and powder. After explaining I didn't want anything heavy we went with urban decay naked skin liquid foundation and finishing powder and I really like it. Light and doesn't feel like I have makeup caked on but seems to have good coverage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

I was never a makeup girl and just started using it a few months ago as I'm returning to work outside the home and wanted to look a little more polished for interviews at age 42. I second/third the rec for YouTube videos. I've been using Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and powder, Tarte concealer, Naked eye makeup (neutrals), a little Covergirl mascara, light Paula Dorf blush, and Clinique chubby sticks for lips. Oh, and also brow powder! I use Anastasia and have also been getting brows done regularly.
    Mommy to DS 2007

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Bookmarking!

for Sandy Hook

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Update-Finally got up the nerve and time to go to Sephora today. I had tried to find some YouTube videos and looked at some of the suggested channels, but didn't really know what to look for. So, got to Sephora. All of the salespeople were very heavily made up. I didn't like any of their looks, but there I was so I hoped they could help me anyway. I did the 15 minute consultation thing. I told the woman I hadn't worn make up in a long time, but wanted to start back again and didn't know how. I told her I wanted to look natural, but get help with my complexion, cover stuff up, etc. She used bare minerals powder. The good thing is I found my shade. She did do some primer first, but then
    she was done. I thought I just might not be used to the look, but I now realize that part of what I don't like is my skin is too uniform and I just didn't look alive! Anyway, I bought the powder and the brush she suggested, remembering it was mentioned on here that the brush was important. Browsed around on my way out and found they had something called a complexion start up kit, which for $15 less had 2 types of powder, primer, something to add just a little color (forgot the name, maybe a warmer or something like that) and some kind of finishing cream. Also, a brush. So, I exchanged my powder and brush for all of this and happily received the extra $15 back. I will be playing around with this now, I guess.

If anyone has suggestions for what I should specifically search for on YouTube, please let me know! Thanks.
    Last edited by JustMe; 07-04-2015 at 01:06 AM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast