nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default DC- Fairfax County Rec-Pac camp?

We are moving to NoVa in a few weeks and I need to find camps for my big kids to stay busy. I missed the ship on enrolling them in our closest rec camp, but there is a ffx rec-pac camp nearby. It seems really reasonably priced. Anyone do one of these? I can't do $500/week camps for them all summer and I'd love some feedback!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We haven't done these, but they are very popular. Like any of the camps run by the parks and rec, the quality of the counselors can be uneven since most of them are seasonal help. Some are great, most are OK, and a few are eh.

The ones at the rec centers are nicer (IMO) because they include swimming as part of the day. I just checked a few of their generic "Summer R.O.C.S" camps at a couple locations and there are still spots. OTOH, RecPac is half the cost.
    Last edited by egoldber; 06-03-2015 at 06:29 AM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Fairfax county park camps at the rec centers are fun and the kids enjoy. We've done them for a few summers and my younger daughter loves them. She has favorites she enjoys year after year. They are good value for the money. I would recommend.

I would not recommend the YMCA camps, however....

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, I think I'm going to do a few of the Rec-PAC camps and a few of the ROCS camps. With 2 kids, the $100 extra per kid per week adds up!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

I haven't done them, but I've heard good things.

Welcome to the neighborhood! Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

The quality has gone down the last five years. It used to be very nice, but its ok for what you pay for it.