Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Travel seat for 4/5yo, 42", 36 lbs?

We are doing some traveling this summer and fall. I have a newborn in a Chicco Keyfit. I'm a single mom, so I'm trying to make this as easy as possible. I have a Maestro. I don't love it, as we have been using it as a primary seat, and I don't feel confident in the straps being tight enough. It feels like they get off kilter etc. I know she's not quite heavy enough for a booster. She is 4 now, her birthday is mid July. Travel will be right after she turns 5.

Oh, also, I will need both children's seats installed in the backseat of a Mercedes SUV and I'll need to fit myself too. (I'm not too big, but you know. I'm an adult.)

Is the Maestro my best (only) bet? I'm kind of challenged with traveling with both kids solo, and trying to make this as easy as possible. Is her weight the only barrier to being in a HBB? (not that I wouldn't respect that, just making sure I understand.

Is the next main seat the Frontier anyway, or to wait until she fits the HBB?

Thank you!
    Last edited by sunnyside; 06-03-2015 at 10:07 PM.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

When my son was that age, we ended up switching to a HBB for travel. We did it the first time last year right around his 5th birthday. He was a smidge over 40" and maybe 40 lbs soaking wet. We used a graco turbo booster and it worked out very well. It was nice not having to install two car seats by myself (I also had a 10 month old and an 8 year old and I was traveling alone with them.). At home DS1 (now almost 6) rides harnessed in a frontier, which I love. We do let him ride in the HBB in DHs car and for travel. I knew he would be better off in a harness, but I couldn't fathom traveling with the frontier (it's a beast) with three kids alone.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    When my son was that age, we ended up switching to a HBB for travel. We did it the first time last year right around his 5th birthday. He was a smidge over 40" and maybe 40 lbs soaking wet. We used a graco turbo booster and it worked out very well. It was nice not having to install two car seats by myself (I also had a 10 month old and an 8 year old and I was traveling alone with them.). At home DS1 (now almost 6) rides harnessed in a frontier, which I love. We do let him ride in the HBB in DHs car and for travel. I knew he would be better off in a harness, but I couldn't fathom traveling with the frontier (it's a beast) with three kids alone.
    Thank you! See I wondered if it would be bad to use a HBB. I really haven't researched it at all. I was going to mention the amount of driving we will be doing, but figured if it's not safe, then I don't want to use it even for a tiny amount. But for what it's worth, it's a beach vacation, and other than from the airport to the condo and back to the hotel, I'm not sure we'll be in the car at all.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The ride safer vest would be a good option too.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

At that age and weight, I used an HBB for travel. My kids are tiny and won't break 40lbs until age 6-7 but can/could sit well enough for me to be comfortable with an HBB that had a lower weight limit of 30 lbs. I bought a Compass folding booster and felt it fit Ds well.

Some people like the Parkway SGL for smaller kids because it has this antisubmarining clip, but it isn't rated for below 40 lbs. The Graco Affix also goes down to 30 lbs and latches, I believe.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Are you going to be flying there? Hope that's not a dumb question, I couldn't quite tell....
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    The ride safer vest would be a good option too.
    We used the vest for DD around the same age and we loved it!
    DD Spring 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Are you going to be flying there? Hope that's not a dumb question, I couldn't quite tell....
    Yes, we are flying. It's just me with the two girls, so trying to make it as easy as possible, but of course safety is very important!

I'll look at these options including the vest. Open to more ideas if anyone's got them!

Thanks!

I'm the utter queen of traveling light with kids... sooo Harmony Youth... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Yo...ingMethod=p13n
    Has a minimum weight limit of 30lbs, and weighs nearly nothing, toss it in the overhead compartment so it doesn't get lost (I had a similar one I dangled from my backpack).
    I'd be all over the RideSafer if it's in the budget, though, because it's even smaller and more comfy for you to sit next to in the car, lol.
    Anyway, this booster has a 30lb minimum and she'll be 5, so while it wouldn't be the best choice for full time (not too padded, she's not 40 pounds), for short trips it's ideal (I mean short vacations or carpooling with friends, if you end up on the road long enough she conks out, she can lean on you )
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast