Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommend a harnessed booster for my tall child?

My daughter just turned 5. She's tall (46", 97th percentile for height) and 43 lbs. I had previously changed her to a Graco Affix high back booster. However, on multiple occasions, I have glanced back in the rear view mirror and found her sitting inappropriately (slouched, slid down, leaning over, etc). I've talked to her, but she has continued doing it. I'd like to change her to a harnessed booster. Can someone recommend a good one for my tall child please?

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How much longer do you think you need to harness? What's her torso height?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    How much longer do you think you need to harness? What's her torso height?
    I just searched my entire house and can't find a tape measure. But, she's in the top slot of the Radian XTSL in hubby's car, so she has a fairly long torso. Unfortunately, I cannot use the Radian in my car. I find it incredibly hard to tighten the straps, because I ruptured a tendon in my right hand a couple of years ago. It's hard to say how much longer we will need to harness. She has ADHD, and I really don't think she realizes how much she is fidgeting and sliding down in the Graco Affix HBB that we're currently using.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Britax Frontier has the highest harness height and is really easy!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    The Britax Frontier has the highest harness height and is really easy!
    Thank you. When you say "easy", do you mean easy to install or easy to tighten? I'm more concerned about the tightening because of my bad hand.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Have you already tried locking the seat belt so she has less room to move out of position in the Affix?
    I think the Frontier is your best bet in terms of height. I believe its relatively easy to install, but I don't know about tighten. I think its similar to the Radian, though, which I think takes some effort. Can you reach in to tighten with the other hand?
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Have you already tried locking the seat belt so she has less room to move out of position in the Affix?
    I think the Frontier is your best bet in terms of height. I believe its relatively easy to install, but I don't know about tighten. I think its similar to the Radian, though, which I think takes some effort. Can you reach in to tighten with the other hand?
    Unfortunately, locking the seat belt doesn't help much. My daughter has hyper-flexible joints (like a contortionist), so she can easily wiggle her way into any position. I will look into the Frontier, and see if I can find some reviews about the strap tightening. I find the Radian nearly impossible to do with my bad right hand, even with using my left hand in conjunction. I used that seat today, and put her in it twice. I've been icing my hand off-an-on all evening because the strain caused it to swell up.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The frontier is not too bad for tightening though I try to leave it at the proper setting as much as possible. If I do need to tighten I usually tighten before buckling the crotch.

At 5 she might even be able to tighten her own Frontier harness, my dd used to totally take care of her Marathon buckling (it squeaked horribly, and she'd scold me if I started driving before it squeaked, lol). No one ever tightened the Radian, that was a beast even back when we used it (DOM 1/2006, and I guess they refuse to change it).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Recaro performance booster (harnessed) is super easy to tighten, so smooth. I don't know about max height though.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast