Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I love this realistic CDC rainbow chart...look how the blue for seatbelts coincides with the regular growth chart... http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafet...factsheet.html 57" is from age 9-12..
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

S was 10 when he passed in all cars, he's about 75%ile...so I'd guess 10ish is pretty normal. Most of his friends were out at 8 because I think most parents, no matter how intelligent, look more at the law and are not aware of the 5 step test. 0, the 8 year old, is the only one of his good friends still sitting in one.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 06-09-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ds stopped using a booster at 8.5. No one uses a booster after 8 around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

10 here too. It's so easy to use a booster. I don't see any reason to rush it.

DD is 9 and I haven't even tried yet. She's not that tall (53") so I doubt she'd pass. She recently complained that she's one of the only kids her age who still rides in a booster.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

DD is 9.5 and at least 58 in. She's still in a booster in my odyssey bc she still needs it in the captains seat she's in. Went to a Carseat check a few weeks ago and they agreed she doesn't fit as well without. She went w a friend this weekend and didn't need a booster. I always send her w a booster, and she doesn't even fight me bc she knows it's not negotiable. Not sure how to handle it now that she might fit in some cars and not in others.

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    S was 10 when he passed in all cars, he's about 75%ile...so I'd guess 10ish is pretty normal. Most of his friends were out at 8 because I think most parents, no matter how intelligent, look more at the law and are not aware of the 5 step test. 0, the 8 year old, is the only one of his good friends still sitting in one.
    I agree with this. DD goes to preschool with a lot of kids whose parents should know better, and I'm regularly shocked at the poor car seat usage. To be fair, it takes some effort to research about proper fit and positioning, and it's much easier to just go by what the law says instead.

I posted about this when it happened, but 4 years ago this July a nearby neighborhood family (we have friends and friends of friends in common) had a terrible, terrible car accident while on a family vacation/road trip. Both parents died. Of the three children, the two who were not in boosters/car seats (7 and 9 at the time) suffered severe spinal injuries and are both paraplegics. The child who was still in a carseat survived with only minor injuries. I plan to keep my DDs in boosters for a very long time.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD is 8.5 and only 50inches tall, she does not pass the test in my subaru. It is a mixed bag around here whether kids use them or not. We never bring it up, so it is not a big deal, so she just sits in it and does not complain. We take the bumble bum into other people's cars, no one has ever questioned me or said anything. I guess, I don't care what other people do, DD know this, and others must sense it b/c I have never heard a comment on my kids car seat status.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    I agree with this. DD goes to preschool with a lot of kids whose parents should know better, and I'm regularly shocked at the poor car seat usage. To be fair, it takes some effort to research about proper fit and positioning, and it's much easier to just go by what the law says instead.

I posted about this when it happened, but 4 years ago this July a nearby neighborhood family (we have friends and friends of friends in common) had a terrible, terrible car accident while on a family vacation/road trip. Both parents died. Of the three children, the two who were not in boosters/car seats (7 and 9 at the time) suffered severe spinal injuries and are both paraplegics. The child who was still in a carseat survived with only minor injuries. I plan to keep my DDs in boosters for a very long time.
    I remember this accident. So tragic. Definitely a strong argument for boosters until they clearly pass the test.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD1, who will be 9 in Sept., just went with her Girl Scout troop on an outting about 40 min. away last week. She rode in her leader's SUV and when I asked if she needed her own booster the leader said she could use her own if I felt she needed one. The three other girls (all a few months younger than my daughter but taller or same height) had no boosters. I asked Dd if she wanted the LBB or her normal Britax Parkway, she wanted the Parkway. I was a bit surprised that none of the other girls were using any boosters. I haven't tried Dd with the five point test but I'm pretty sure her feet would not be flat on the floor in the bucket seats in my car.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast