Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

DD was the tallest in her 3rd grade and one of the few I know of still in a booster. I just told the parent she needed a booster and offered to drop it off. If questioned I just said I saw too much as a nurse. There were many kids that are 1/2 her size not in boosters. I don't mind being considered that mom for safety.

my 12.5 year old is still in a booster in the Sienna captain chair but passes the 5-step test in the backseat of our Honda Accord. She prefers a high back booster, so that is what she uses in the van. I am fine with short rides with no booster in any car but anything on the highway or long enough where she will fall asleep she has to have a booster.

her friends ride in the front seat of their parents car but I told her she has to be 13 for that. Depending on how the seatbelt in the front seat fits her, she may not be allowed to ride there anyway.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

The start of this thread on "Educated" parents cracks me up.
    Really no matter how educated or uneducated you are on other things doesn't matter a lick how educated you are on car seats - a popular pediatrician in our very upscale community tells parents to drop the booster after kindergarten (don't get me started - I even made several call to NHTSA and others to ask for someone to go in and educate that peds office).
    As to the question, my 2nd grader isn't even in a booster yet (still in Marathon, I'm about ready to move her to a high back). Most kids in her class are in front seat seat belt. I could car less, in my car they are in booster. I'm thinking she won't pass 5 point I bet until she is 12. She's small and only 45 pounds at 7.5 years.
    My 12 year old is much bigger 5"1' now and passed it easily at 10 in my car and at 9.5 in my husband's car. Some of her friends are tiny and still don't pass it. It's a struggle to get a 7th grader that is not your child to sit in a booster however...I try. They giggle and sometimes do it.

Oh and my excuse for other parents, Well you have to excuse me but I used to work pediatric trauma the correct car seat is the difference between kids alive or dead...parents still really don't change whatever opinion they have already formed I find...
    Last edited by mnosky1; 11-01-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Most people here drop the booster after age 8, when it is legal to ride w/o one. DS is 9 and about 54", and occasionally rides without one. I had taken his seat out of my car b/c I had to fold the seats down to haul some gear, so he rode a few short trips without it. After a couple of days, he asked for me to put his hbb back in the car, b/c he's so much more comfortable with it, and can see out better.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My oldest just passed in one of our vehicles, and she's eleven!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4