meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default A convertible or harnessed booster next to Frontier 90?

My 5yo is in a Frontier 90 behind passenger and my 2.5yo is RF in a Marathon in the center. We really like having space for a passenger behind the driver. For preschool drop off in the fall, I will need to have daughter FF behind passenger. If I move the Frontier into the center is there a seat that will fit next to it so we don't have to have both kids outboard? My husband said just get two new seats but our Frontier is only 2 years old so I'd rather not. Any experience with puzzling a Frontier 90 and another seat FF that will last a while?

Thanks so much!

meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I haven't heard of the frontier puzzling well with anything else FF. Why does your daughter have to be FF for preschool? RF is recommended up to 4yo (or longer if she still fits the seat) so the preschool can't force you to flip her if you don't want to. Obviously it just kicks the can down the road, but if your younger stays RF until 4 then your older will be ready for a booster and you'll have more options (backless, HBB or combination depending on what fits).

If you want to get a FF seat though, the defender is the narrowest I know of.
    Last edited by meljc; 06-15-2015 at 04:46 PM.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Could you put the frontier in the middle and marathon rf outboard? That said, I'm not sure it would leave much space for another person behind the driver, but those are both great seats. I would not want to have to replace them. If you do replace both, might consider radians. We have four if them and often put them side by side or three across.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    Could you put the frontier in the middle and marathon rf outboard? That said, I'm not sure it would leave much space for another person behind the driver, but those are both great seats. I would not want to have to replace them. If you do replace both, might consider radians. We have four if them and often put them side by side or three across.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    I have both seats. Frontier is center for my FF DS1 and outboard RF marathon keeps DS2 17 months old. Fits ok in my Subaru Outback with space behind passenger.

However I just moved the frontier behind driver from its center position because DS1 keeps playing/talking too loud right next to DS2 when he's trying to nap. Also works well as far timing because DS1 will start new school this fall, so having him behind my seat will make it easier for me to unbuckle and load him off the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

RF radian actually puzzles great next to Frontier but I don't think it will fit if the radian is FF.

Thanks everyone! These posts have confirmed my suspicion.

@meljc, I only have to put her FF and outboard if I want to do the carpool line. They aren't forcing it in any way, but that sure would make my life easy.

Not sure what I am going to do. I really like having space for a guest. We do have the built in boosters on both outboard seats, but that won't help my little one, or my problem!

Appreciate all the advice!

meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I've heard of rules like that. It sucks :-( My 3.5yo is RF on the drivers side and gets picked up from car line without issue. I understand wanted the kid on the passenger side, but why does RF/FF matter?

I had my preschooler RF, the teacher laughed and asked constantly why so old RF, but buckled her in just the same. Sigh for pesky rules.

How about trying the Graco My Size FF next to the Frontier? Do you have a BRU close enough to do that? Or Evenflo SureRide, they both have narrow backs and tallish sides that *might* work...? I'm sort of doubtful, but if it's convenient to try, might as well...?
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks Jools! I do have a BRU close by to try it out. Appreciate it!