wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Advice: stick with FR80 or switch to HBB?

DD2 is 5.5yo, ~36lbs and ~41". She'll be starting K in September and will be doing summer rec, soccer, etc this summer. She currently rides in a FR80 in harness mode in both DH's and my cars. DH had to uninstall her seat in his car to accommodate another passenger and mentioned that instead of reinstalling it we should switch to the HBB to make it easier for summer rec drop off and pick up. They have the parents sort of wagon train in a circle where you pull up, let your kid out and move on. It's not convenient to have to get out of your car to buckle or unbuckle your kid. I've never seen another parent do that and DD1's been going to rec for a few years now. DD2 does not know how to buckle or unbuckle her FR. We already have 2 Graco Turboboosters for spares (grandparents and daycare...we were the only family to require out kid to ride in a carseat/booster for field trips yikes!).

So, would you switch to a HBB or stick with the harnessed seat? If you did HBB would you convert the FR to harness mode? Can I use the latch in harness mode to keep the seat in place? (I like that about the affix that we have for DD1)? Or would you switch to the Turbobooster?

So many decisions...

BTW, around here DD1 who turns 8 next month wouldn't even be in a booster at all, and DD1 would've been in a LBB 2 years ago if she were parented by anyone else. Very different carseat usage around these parts.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hmm, DS2 just turned 6 and is about 50" tall and 50lbs and is still harnessed in his FR85 and FR90 in both DH's car and mine. He does ride in a booster in our carpool's car. He does know how to buckle and unbuckle himself and I plan on leaving him harnessed. Our camp has a similar pick up line in the afternoon (mornings I park and walk him in), but I just get out and buckle him which is really just a 30 second process. I've never had a problem with it. But maybe you can just teach your DD how to buckle and unbuckle herself and then you can just give a visual check when she gets in.

And yes, you can use the LATCH in the FR for booster mode. Since your DD is so small I'd see if she even fits in the FR in booster mode as it's meant for bigger older kids. The Turbobooster definitely fits really small kids.

The carseat usage around me is pretty similar to your experience-- kids out of boosters on their 8th birthday and riding in a backless from the age of 5.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    And yes, you can use the LATCH in the FR for booster mode. Since your DD is so small I'd see if she even fits in the FR in booster mode as it's meant for bigger older kids. The Turbobooster definitely fits really small kids.
    Good call on looking into the FR in HBB mode as far as fit. I'll def research that. The turbobooster's lower limit is 30lb so she's find weight wise technically, but she does seem small to me to make the move.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You are not supposed to use the FR in booster mode until they hit 40 pounds either. TBH, the Frontier is a beast as a booster and is hard for young kids to buckle. If you want to go the booster route, I'd do a parkway instead with the anti-submarine clip.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Parkway also has a 40lb lower limit though. Turbobooster fits petite kids well.

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    You are not supposed to use the FR in booster mode until they hit 40 pounds either. TBH, the Frontier is a beast as a booster and is hard for young kids to buckle. If you want to go the booster route, I'd do a parkway instead with the anti-submarine clip.
    Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Parkway also has a 40lb lower limit though. Turbobooster fits petite kids well.
    Good to know. Yes, the turbo is 30lb, so I know she'd be ok with that weight wise.