Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    $1800 for a chocolate Labrador retriever from a reputable breeder. The breeder does tests for hip & elbow dysphasia, exercise induced collapse, heart defects, and a couple of hereditary eye diseases. These tests are done on the parents, before she breeds, not on the puppies.

ETA - she is a show-quality lab.
    Same for our lab, except that we paid $2000. I was quoted between $1800 and $2200 from various reputable breeders.

Thanks all. We will be on the high end of these at around 3K. I'm not sure we'll be able to justify the price. We are not interested in a rescue as they will be far more likely to develop genetic issues that are common to the breed than the health tested pup.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyofAmaya View Post
    Thanks all. We will be on the high end of these at around 3K. I'm not sure we'll be able to justify the price. We are not interested in a rescue as they will be far more likely to develop genetic issues that are common to the breed than the health tested pup.
    Have you considered a breeder that is further away or are prices uniformly high? The cost of one night at a hotel or a plane ticket might be worth it if you can find a good breeder charging less.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyofAmaya View Post
    I am really curious what breed you are looking at.
    Our dog is pure bred, but we got her from the county shelter and paid $30. We were able to track down her paperwork, so we know she is pure bred. She was spayed and had all of her shots, so a good deal. Our dog is not a rare breed.
    She is getting older and for our next dog we would like something that sheds very little (or not at all). I briefly looked at goldendoodles, but the prices were over $1500 and I personally can't justify spending that on a dog.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We paid $1200 about 15 years ago for our Shetland Sheepdog. Very reputable breeder, long line of show and agility winners. Great dog. But despite the best of breeding, toward the end of her life, she had numerous health issues related to her breed (hypothyroidism, kidney stones, etc). Also, being from such good lineage, she had an amazing coat (groomer says it was the best she had ever seen). As in, she really needed professionally grooming to maintain it (local places didn't thin it right or cut it evenly and she would get a fungal infection on her skin). So consider upkeep with your breed. Besides the medical issues, our dog was getting a $60 grooming every 8-10 weeks over 12 years. It adds up. Needless to say, I was so over it by the time we were ready for our next dog. I purposely picked a rescue that had short hair which needs no real grooming and just a regular bath every few months.

A friend of mine paid in that range for a Newfie way back. She came from a champion bloodline and a reputable breeder.

We considered a Havanese for awhile and the breeder wanted $1600.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just paid $2500 for an Australian Labradoodle (different than a F1 or F2 cross of a lab/poodle). I really didn't want to do it, but we needed a non/low shedding dog. We've had her a week and I'm glad we did it. She's got a great personality (something the breeder specializes in) and so far we couldn't be happier. Our breeder spends a lot of time with the puppies and it shows. When I was looking at this breed, most breeders were asking between $2750 and $3k.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our dog was $1500. She is a havanese.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My mom just paid $1700 for a maltipoo. My sister paid $1400 about 11 years ago for a long haired daschund from Australia. An equivalent dog costs about $2400 now.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

17 years ago, I think I paid 2800 for my doberman. A steal really considering her bloodlines and that she was an import from the Czech Republic.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast