Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Suspect DS needs glasses (update in #15)

DH has worn glasses since he was young. I never have but think that I will need some soon because I've noticed that it's more difficult to read things far away. Yesterday on the interstate I discovered that DS1 couldn't see the letters on the backs of trucks more than about two car lengths ahead of us which is way worse than my vision. Do I take him to a pediatric ophthalmologist or just a regular optometrist or...? He starts kindergarten in August so if he's going to need glasses then I want to get them soon.
    Last edited by indigo99; 07-04-2015 at 11:27 PM.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'd start with an optometrist and see where that takes you.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by rlu View Post
    I'd start with an optometrist and see where that takes you.
    They'll do an eye exam and give him glasses, right? Is that all there is to it when child first gets glasses? Are there good/bad optometrists or do I just pick one?
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    They'll do an eye exam and give him glasses, right? Is that all there is to it when child first gets glasses? Are there good/bad optometrists or do I just pick one?
    Yep that's basically it! Dd1 just got her first pair of glasses and we used an optometrist. I asked around for recommendations from friends.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree with PPs. I just took my girls yesterday for their annual eye exam (they are 8 and 5.5). This was younger DD's first exam. She's going into K. They have a machine that measures refraction and basically tells the doc an approximate lens prescription. That's the starting point that he uses to then do the lens test for which lenses make vision better/worse. He did a full exam along with dilating their pupils. Both my kids are slightly farsighted which is normal for kids and doesn't require correction.

We go to a regular optometrist that sees adults and kids.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

My son got glasses at age 5. We went to a place in the mall. If he doesn't know his letters he would have to go to a pediatric place because they can use different tests.
    Renee
    (mommom to Noah my beautiful Ethiopian miracle. born 6/26/08 forever a family 4/20/09)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would take him to an optometrist. He may or may not need glasses, but since there is a family history an opto. visit at age 5 sounds like a good plan to me. I know the popular thought here is to go straight to an opthamologist, but I disagree. I had a bad experience with an opthamologist when DD1 was 4; he was rude, pushy, wanted to do a 2 hr+ test, told me DD1's RX had the wrong lenses and did so without explaining the reasons.... .all I remember him saying was prizms were completely wrong for a child, but he wouldn't elaborate. I never took her back there and she continued going to the optometrist, who specializes in children.

I don't recall being able to see letters on the sides of trucks at 5 either, my parents were more concerned with street lights and colors of cars, buildings, or houses. Again I would still take him because of the family history, but don't be disappointed if it was nothing. DD1 could see airplanes 500-1000 ft. in the sky perfectly so we didn't think she needed glasses, but she does.

Have his teachers mentioned anything about eye strain, or if holding books or papers too close to his face?
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My regular optometrist has a chart for kids that don't know their letters. When you call places just tell them your son's age and they will let you know if they see younger patients.

Unless you have specific concerns, any regular ophthalmologist/optometrist would be fine.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

For most kids, any will do.
    For glasses, I'd go to Costco, they are cheapest and have fine service. Independent shops, Target, Sears are OK.
    Lenscrafters and Perle are wicked expensive, they charge $250ish for a standard child's frame-and-lenses.
    You can definitely find something for under $200 if you go elsewhere.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast