View Poll Results: How would you respond

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Husband's sister, so he should handle it.

12 17.14%
  • Ignore it, possibly a group text, maybe she won't mention it again

41 58.57%
  • Be honest but nice. "We are living on a budget"

22 31.43%
  • Be brutally honest. "Not our responsibility"

3 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

AAAHHHH! I just remembered that she still owes me $100 for her mom's birthday gift in April. "We" went together and bought her a new blender. AND $50 for a Christmas gift that I picked up for her.

Oh, definitely not getting any money from us. AND maybe it's time I learn a lesson.... : /

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by logan's mom View Post
    AAAHHHH! I just remembered that she still owes me $100 for her mom's birthday gift in April. "We" went together and bought her a new blender. AND $50 for a Christmas gift that I picked up for her.

Oh, definitely not getting any money from us. AND maybe it's time I learn a lesson.... : /
    Unreal. Definitely high time you separate your finances from hers. I would absolutely ignore the text and not feel an ounce of guilt.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bank of Logan's Mom is officially closed!!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Whelp I think you have her birthday and Christmas gifts to her covered for the year too, if you do them!

No more going in on gifts with her!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I don't think every rude action needs to be called out.
    So true. I think people would be much happier if they spent less time being annoyed/offended at small transgressions. (Not directed at OP, she doesn't sound especially annoyed!)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

JCat is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I would probably give whatever I would have spent on the fundraiser, even if that's thirty dollars, ten dollars, or a hundred.

just to be nice.

I would have an issue with funding something that I consider non-essential. If DNs needed something like books, shoes, etc, I would be more than willing to help. We have been asked by my husband's sister to contribute to gifts for their mutual brother's kids and we have always said no. If your parents cannot afford the latest gaming system and games, latest brand of tennis shoes, etc than the child should learn that that is outside the family's means.

We send DNs gifts. I would send my sister's kids gifts whether they reciprocate or not. We are very close and the children always call to thank us. DH sends his brother's kids gifts and we only (sometimes) receive a generic "thank you" from DH's mother. It really irritates me but I have washed my hands of the situation.

ETA: you could just tell her to put the $150 that she owes you to the contribution. This is definitely something I would do.
    Last edited by IansMom; 07-03-2015 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IansMom View Post
    ETA: you could just tell her to put the $150 that she owes you to the contribution. This is definitely something I would do.
    That's a great idea, but I'd tell her very sweetly that she could just pay me back the $100 she owes from MIL's birthday gift and put the $50 she owes from the Christmas present towards the football expenses.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I use to be very worried about friends and family who pleaded poverty until I was speaking with a friend about Christmas a few years back and told her that DH was trying to find an XBOX with Knect for the kids for Christmas, but it was sold out every where. When she responded that they had one (it had just come out), I started to wonder. Then I saw her out with the family in her husbands Lexus. I no longer trusted her pleading of poverty. I guess they keep their money separate so she drove an old car and couldn't "afford" the kids activities, but he lives in luxury. That did not constitute reduced preschool tuition or constant pleas for help, that simply meant they needed to re-visit their budgeting.

You should not contribute to their DC's sports equipment! She needs to pay you back what she owes you!!!

Stay STRONG!!!

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by moosemama View Post
    That's a great idea, but I'd tell her very sweetly that she could just pay me back the $100 she owes from MIL's birthday gift and put the $50 she owes from the Christmas present towards the football expenses.
    Love this! OP, this would be a great reply.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6