barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Quick help! Freestanding or slide in range?

I'm debating between a freestanding induction range (love the feature of quicker cooking but have lived without it thus far) or a non-induction slide in range (lov e the look). We are remodeling our kitchen and I like the built in look. However, I am a little afraid that my three-year-old will mess with the knobs on the front of the slide in range. They can be locked but that will require much diligence to do it every single day.

Is it really that much of an improvement in looks, knowing that we will still have a microwave over the range instead of a hood.? I have to decide today! Ugh!

Btw - yes there are slide in ranges that are also induction, but they are out of the price range for our budget.image.jpg
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have only had a free standing range that slides into our range space and it looks fine. These range knob covers are by far one of the best inventions ever; we have been constantly using ours for almost 8 years (and had to replace a few).
    http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Cle.../dp/B00068O22S
    and Target has them in black for stainless ranges:
    http://www.target.com/p/safety-1st-5...1fIxoCkOTw_wcB

my parents have always had a freestanding range with a microwave over the range and it works fine. DH and I thought we wanted a microwave over our current range, but it turns out we didn't have enough space (only on a personal preference for DH, he thought it should've been higher) so we went with a vent instead. We bought a Zephyr Breeze 300 and are happy with it so definitely measure your space. Is the kitchen in your photos your new kitchen less appliances? If so then I might I consider the slide in range and forget the induction if the only space for your microwave is above the range.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-03-2015 at 09:39 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You can have a slide in with a microwave on top - doesn't have to be a hood. But you're right - we really don't have the space for a counter microwave, nor do I want one. I hang thought about the knob covers though - good idea!
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Depending on the knob design you may also be able to just slide them off instead of using a plastic cover. We keep ours in a cabinet by the stove when we aren't cooking and it only takes a second to put the ones you need back on.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We just did a kitchen remodel on our short sale house unless I did a over the range microwave I don't have another place for ours
    Last edited by JBaxter; 07-03-2015 at 02:32 PM.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

induction would be my choice! function over form rules here.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Quick help! Freestanding or slide in range?

Induction all the way! We have induction range and I love both the induction and that the controls are out of kids reach

ETA we have microwave above ours too