SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Health insurance for self-employed??

DH is seriously considering self-employment. I am looking into the healthcare options in this situation...a very foreign topic for me. I realize that insurance plans vary greatly - plans, regions, etc. All I have seen so far is that open enrollment has ended for two companies that I have checked out, however, it looks like we might be able to purchase if we have a "qualifying life event".

For those who are self-employed, can you offer any tips as I navigate this area?
    Have you been satisfied with your insurance company/coverage, especially if you actually USE it?
    Good customer service?
    Good selection of providers?
    Good websites to walk us through the process and help selecting a company??

I cannot think of anything else. It's just crazy overwhelming. Thank you for any advice/feedback!!!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

We have used an insurance agent and the Marketplace. We have had several companies, depending on coverage and quotes. I asked my OB and ped's office who the worst were, and we try to avoid them. The marketplace (healthcare.gov) was easy to navigate and gives you all the details you need to compare. I'd do that and find a good agent.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

D & I are self-employed and have used the marketplace & have an Anthem Bc/BS healthkeepers plan (silver) that has worked well for us. We've only had the usual insurance issues with them - nothing crazy or upsetting.
    DS 2/09

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have marketplace insurance, so I can't speak to that. I am self-employed, but am covered though my DH's employer plan. I do want to point out a few things that are often overlooked / misunderstood (I work in the field).

There is often (really, always) a gap in coverage even with a qualifying event. Timing matters here, a lot. The gap can vary from 2 weeks to 6 weeks. I don't recall the nuances off-hand, but can pull my notes if you need more info. COBRA may be an option to off-set this, but it's kind of fuzzy. A gap in coverage for less than 3 months is okay for the individual mandate, but does leave you exposed to health care costs during that time.

The exchange options will vary greatly between states. Focus on the cost-sharing (deductibles, maximum out-of-pocket, copays, coinsuance) and the networks. Just because a plan is great for a friend in another state, it may be horrible in your state.

Pay attention to the impact of restarting your deductible mid-year.
    Last edited by ahisma; 07-04-2015 at 01:13 AM.

We are not self employed, but we did purchase insurance through the marketplace for my ILs (they moved here 2.5 years ago from Eastern Europe). In their case it was a little complicated to verify their identities (we needed to get them state IDs, as their green cards were not sufficient). But once that was all set up, it was easy. There is a range of competency when you call to talk to people. (We did have private insurance for them for 1/2 a year at first and it was significantly more expensive than going through the marketplace, and we don't think there's any difference in ease/coverage.)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)