ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Adjustable Weighted Blianket

Hi all,

I found this tutorial for an adjustable weighted blanket for kids with Autism or other sensory needs.

http://confessionsofafabricaddict.bl...-tutorial.html

I decided to try it out and wanted to let anyone crafty on here know how it turned out.

Here are some pics.

Hope this helps out some of y'all. IMG_4016.jpgIMG_4017.jpgIMG_4018.jpgIMG_4019.jpgIMG_4020.jpg
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

wow awesome work mama!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

That's awesome! I wish I were crafty.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That's really cool, thanks for sharing.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    Hi all,

I found this tutorial for an adjustable weighted blanket for kids with Autism or other sensory needs.

http://confessionsofafabricaddict.bl...-tutorial.html

I decided to try it out and wanted to let anyone crafty on here know how it turned out.

Here are some pics.

Hope this helps out some of y'all. IMG_4016.jpgIMG_4017.jpgIMG_4018.jpgIMG_4019.jpgIMG_4020.jpg
    So the sandwich bags of the poly beads fit inside the pockets? And then the blanket of pockets goes inside the duvet cover? You can adjust the weight by changing out the sandwich bags but you will still be limited by the blanket size overall.... right?

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by logan's mom View Post
    So the sandwich bags of the poly beads fit inside the pockets? And then the blanket of pockets goes inside the duvet cover? You can adjust the weight by changing out the sandwich bags but you will still be limited by the blanket size overall.... right?
    All of this is correct, I adjusted the final size to 38" by 62" roughly, so I had more pockets (60).

I didn't use sandwich baggies, I made cloth beanbags of sorts and filled those and stuffed them into the blanket and covered with the duvet.

You have to make sure you take into account the weight of the blanket, before filling, and the duvet when you weigh out the beads.

HTH
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    All of this is correct, I adjusted the final size to 38" by 62" roughly, so I had more pockets (60).

I didn't use sandwich baggies, I made cloth beanbags of sorts and filled those and stuffed them into the blanket and covered with the duvet.

You have to make sure you take into account the weight of the blanket, before filling, and the duvet when you weigh out the beads.

HTH
    Thank you. That's what I was picturing in my head but wanted to make sure. I think DS1 who is about to turn 6 would enjoy a weighted blanket. Maybe this will be my next project. THanks for sharing!