firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default When to repair and when to replace: washer and dryer edition

I posted earlier in the week that we needed to replace our dryer which we have had for 13+ years. The washer (knock on wood!) runs great and we've been really happy with it. The dryer one day just stopped putting out heat and drying clothes. It had been not drying clothes as well the last few months but I figured it was just the age of the dryer. I started to google today and it looks like it could be as simple of a fix as replacing a fuse. DH is not handy, but he was recently laid off so if we can save $600 by not buying a dryer, that's great. Here are four options:

1) Replace the dryer only with a decent "mid range" option
    2) Replace the washer and dryer - a friend keeps telling me we are on borrowed time but it would bother me to replace something that isn't broken
    3) Have DH try to repair the dyer by replacing the fuse - I don't think the fuse would be expensive but he would have to troubleshoot it a la Google / YouTube
    4) Have an appliance repair person out for a $80 service call plus parts and additional labor to repair the dryer. Not sure what the total would be.

So, WWYD?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have you checked the outside lint filter? Sometimes if that is clogged it won't dry as well. If I was to replace I would only replace the non working unit. I don't think you need a set unless you have special circumstances like they need to be stackable.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd at least research it on YouTube a but and see if fixing it yourselves is a possibility. I'd want to be pretty confident about the quality of the fix since dryers can be prone to fires.

I'd also make sure your dryer vent is clean since that could have contributed to the problem.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You have to at least try. My dryer has issues and Google fixes have helped. My dryer no longer really dries on some modes but others work. Consider experimenting with different cycles- like use the timer mode vs normal or more dry.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would totally at least try and fix it. You may be on borrowed time with your washer or it might run awesome for another 10 years!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

I would try the google troubleshooting. Our dryer is older than the earth (not really, but I'm sure it's older than yours.) The belt that turns the drum broke which was easy to determine by taking off the kick plate and looking with a flashlight. Google told me which belt I needed and YouTube provided a great video for it's replacement. The repair cost less than $10. If you open it up unplug it first and take pictures as you go so you know how to reconnect things. I believe you can check whether a fuse is good or not with a multi-meter so you could check out that angle easily enough. If you don't own a multi-meter any even slightly handy friend or neighbor is likely to have one you could borrow.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    I would try the google troubleshooting. Our dryer is older than the earth (not really, but I'm sure it's older than yours.) The belt that turns the drum broke which was easy to determine by taking off the kick plate and looking with a flashlight. Google told me which belt I needed and YouTube provided a great video for it's replacement. The repair cost less than $10. If you open it up unplug it first and take pictures as you go so you know how to reconnect things. I believe you can check whether a fuse is good or not with a multi-meter so you could check out that angle easily enough. If you don't own a multi-meter any even slightly handy friend or neighbor is likely to have one you could borrow.
    I would try to troubleshoot. Our dryer stopped heating, but would still turn. It was a heating element/coil that needed to be replaced. I think it was $20 something and DH did it. I think he googled for a few ideas of what it could be and went from there. It got us a few more years and then we replaced.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Try and fix it. Our washer and dryer are 16 years old still fine with just a few minor repairs by DH along the way.