Default HBB for secondary car?

DS1's secondary carseat that he rides in 2x a week is expiring soon and need to replace it. It's a toyota camry '09, i would spurge more on a carseat if ds1 spends more time in that car, but truthfully after September i can only see him riding with daddy on a quick weekend errand.

he's 41" tall & 38 1/2 pounds.

bonus points if carseat is FAA approved & LIGHTWEIGHT

i was lost looking at HBB options in Amazon and Target.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For the HBB, I really like the Chicco. I think it is only sold at Target though. We also have the Recaro High Back booster in our other car. My DS can buckle himself in the Chicco, but the Reacro is a bit wider, so he can't really buckle himself in that one yet. Boosters can't be used on airplanes though, so none will be FAA approved.

For the convertible, the Evenflo Sureride is pretty tall and high weight limits, but is light. I want to say it is around $85 at Target and BRU.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are you looking for straight HBB or a combination seat? The Maestro would work well - harness to 50lb and super lightweight and pretty cheap. Not the longest lasting as HBB but since you have another kid to pass down I think you'd get plenty of use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Are you looking for straight HBB or a combination seat? The Maestro would work well - harness to 50lb and super lightweight and pretty cheap. Not the longest lasting as HBB but since you have another kid to pass down I think you'd get plenty of use out of it.
    probably combination seat, as DS1 isn't quite 40 pounds yet. Which Maestro would you be talking about? i just looked into amazon and seems to be 2/3 different types. I agree with durability, as can always pass that on to DS2 so not worried about the duration for DS1.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    For the HBB, I really like the Chicco. I think it is only sold at Target though. We also have the Recaro High Back booster in our other car. My DS can buckle himself in the Chicco, but the Reacro is a bit wider, so he can't really buckle himself in that one yet. Boosters can't be used on airplanes though, so none will be FAA approved.

For the convertible, the Evenflo Sureride is pretty tall and high weight limits, but is light. I want to say it is around $85 at Target and BRU.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

the evenflo sureride is on a sale...apparently down to 58 bucks from 199 bucks.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We are perfectly happy with the Graco high back turbo boosters for around town use and non long trips, but for longer trips the Britax Frontier 80 as a belted booster is still my DD1's favorite. The Gracos go on sale at Target for $30 in late July or August. You can use a Graco Turbo from 35lbs, maybe even 30lbs. and tbh I am not opposed to that use at 35-40lbs as long as the kids are compliant in the car.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    probably combination seat, as DS1 isn't quite 40 pounds yet. Which Maestro would you be talking about? i just looked into amazon and seems to be 2/3 different types. I agree with durability, as can always pass that on to DS2 so not worried about the duration for DS1.
    You might want to update your thread title to put in combination seat vs. HBB (which are never FAA approved because they can't be used with lap-only belts).

I don't have one, but the CSFTL FB group seems Harmony Defender. Just found a link: http://csftl.org/recommended-seats/#combination