Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Clothing and bras for tweens

DD is 11.5, up until this point I have purchased mostly from Justice and Old Navy. Well she has now completely outgrown kids Old Navy and I just can't find anything age appropriate in the women's sizes. She can still wear an 18 in Justice but she is going to middle school this year and feels like Justice is too young for her. She is tall, but still has a belly, it's very difficult to find clothes. This summer she has pretty much worn athletic shorts, but this won't work every day for school. She can wear shorts but they have to reach bottom of her fingers with her arms by her side.

For bras she doesn't like Justice for some reason, they just don't fit right. She mostly wears sports bras and the bralettes from the VS Pink line, but the bralettes aren't working anymore, they aren't lined at all so she's showing thru t-shirts, but they are comfy thats what she likes. I can't find anything at VS that isn't push up. Where else should I look for bras?

Aeropostale really doesn't work for her, it is cut really narrow. I'm going to look at American Eagle, Pacsun, Buckle(wow $$$). Where else should I be looking? We are planning to go just me and her and go to lots of stores and try stuff on. She hates shopping. I'm hoping if I make it a day just me and her, which doesn't happen often, it will be more fun for her.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is 11.5 - I feel your pain.

Aeropostale has some longer shorts, and use real sizes so you should be able to find some that fit. So does Kohls. Target is iffy.

For bras - go to Kohls. They have a section of junior bras that are between a sports bra and real bra ( ?). Still stretchy, multisize, but with some support. DD also likes the Champion sports bras from Target (enough support for her, and she's a full A cup) as well as the cami's in the junior section at Target. Can't remember the brand (Mossimo or Cherokee). They're flat, on a table, but have a real shelf bra built in that provide coverage/support. They're inexpensive, but don't wear terribly well. Stock up .

Go to Aero when you have some time - some stuff is very narrow but they have some a bit that's fuller and some 'swing/A-line'. DD is almost always a S at Target, but ranges from an XS to Med at Aero depending on cut. Look around the junior section at Target - a fair amount of looser cut stuff mixed in. Old Navy's women's section is hit or miss but worth a stop. Hollister is worth a stop - some very loose fitting stuff there at reasonable prices.

DD would agree with your DD - Justice shirts aren't worn at this age by most at this age, at least around here.

Good luck!

I will definitely try Kohls didn't even think of there. I never find anything at Target. DD needs bras with regular straps, not ones that crisscross in the back. She hates the clasps, so it's hard to find over the head bras that aren't sports bras.

I will try Hollister too, we have to drive about 2 hours for that but we need a better selection than our local mall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have had good luck with the bras at Gap (http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...&pid=515492002). My tall thin DD fits the largest size...

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD needs bras with regular straps, not ones that crisscross in the back. She hates the clasps, so it's hard to find over the head bras that aren't sports bras.

These are the ones I was thinking of - think they meet your requirements.
    http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2178781/hanes-bra-ultimate-perfect-coverage-wire-free-bra-hu08-womens.jsp. Good luck!

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kohl's for sure. My DD's regular bras are from there, and her sports bras are the C9 brand at Target. Women's sizes for all these.

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Clothing and bras for tweens

Just finished school shopping for my DD 11.5 and 5'3", 108lbs. This is the first year we've had to go to multiple stores. Many, many stores. Had the best luck at Marshall's. They had American Eagle brand shirts in XS that fit and a few other shirts. H&M was the only place we found a pair of shorts long enough. They're denim. Also had some luck at Forever 21 and another similar store that I can't recall, had 21 in it too I think. Aeropostale was cut too small for her.

Oh, and she wears bras from Kohls, but they are the front clasp type.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Would something like this work from Hanes:
    http://www.hanes.com/hanes/women/wom...ree-bra-1a0092 (this looks identical to the Platex Thank Goodness It Fits bras I wore until I was 18 and finally got some shape (I was 34A/B until I had kids now I am a small 36B))

I bought some of these for myself at a Target a few weeks back for weekend and light workout wear and they are comfortable, but I think would still be appropriate for a pre teen. If she can get past the snaps on them (they are suppose to be convertible they might work)
    http://www.hanes.com/hanes/sale/wome...mfort-bra-g795

Clothing wise have you checked out JC Penney? Good luck.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-05-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was able to find bras at Kohls. They had lots that were seamless, no clasps. Lots of cute prints also which she was happy about. I was able to find a couple pairs of shorts at Dillards. We are going on a big shopping trip Friday because it's tax free weekend. Hoping to find some good deals because she needs a lot of clothes. I will post what we are able to find!

-Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Your DD sounds a lot like mine! It's a difficult age to buy for! Try the shorts at Old Navy in the women's department. They had some denim Bermuda length and 5" inseams (these were long enough for DD to wear to school). DD has worn them all summer. They're really cute, aren't cut too skinny (for a change) and have held up well. They go down to a size 0, I think, but DD is in a 4, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast