Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default backpack for a high school kid

What types of backpacks are your high school kids using? I remember using Jansport. Is that still popular? Best place to purchase?

I looked at Jansport, and saw they have a few different styles....bid kid pack, student pack? Which one would fit a high schooler?

Thanks!

My two older girls have used Kipling.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

For a highschool kid What ever one they want. JCPenny, Costco Kohls Dicks etc. I would not even try to order one when my older 2 were that age We got them when we went school shopping. my middle schooler has a Nike one and my 1st grader has Lands End. My college senior has a KSwiss lap top back pack he likes
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ditto pp- let them pick. My ds1 didn't care so we went with LLB.

Let them pick! I'd have never picked older dds. She wouldn't have used it. I'm bright and she's plain...
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

One thing you need to consider is if they need to carry a laptop or tablet. And if they need a binder.

Older DD will be a freshman next years, and she needs to carry a laptop and a binder next year. I am finding the backpacks large enough to accommodate these items + lunch + occasional PE clothes are HUGE and $$$$.
    Last edited by egoldber; 07-28-2015 at 09:54 AM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 is only in middle school but I've been getting him the Costco High Sierra backpack every year. It's pretty big and has a laptop sleeve. He doesn't take a laptop to school, but he takes his when he goes to his friends' houses and uses his backpack for that. My kids have always carried their lunches separately so we've never needed them to be able to fit inside.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I almost got a Costco high sierra backpack for myself! They look great!!

Agree to let the high schooler choose - here I see lots of Vera Bradleys for the girls in late middle/early high school.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If it's for your child, let him/her pick. If its a gift....Jansport is the way to go, IMO. I have a Jansport backpack that I have had since highschool and it not only got me through highschool and college, it has gone on every trip DH and ever taken together. Just came back last week from a week in Missouri It's been used and abused and the only thing I have ever had to do to it is send it in for a strap repair that cost me shipping. It literally looks brand new. I got DD a Jansport Big student backpack last year and hers still looks new as well despite her lugging around every single text book she has in it everyday (she refuses to use her locker). It's HUGE and wonderful. The model she has doesn't have a place for a laptop, though, so if that is a concern you'll need a different model.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would look into LL Bean. They have a whole list of features that you can select and it will tell you which bags are best to choose from. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/514244?gnrefine=1*SCHL_G*High+School%2FCollege^

Plus, their guarantee can't be beat.
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast