Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help me pick a travel stroller for my toddler!!! UPDATE

We live abroad and the selection is not as big, Amazon does ship some strollers, so between that, what's available locally, and my budget I've made a list of the runners up. We used to have a Chicco Liteway (liked it but the steering as DS got older was terrible) that an airline trashed. Hence I don't like to travel with the Bee or the Vista. My 2 biggest requirements are that is has a tall seat back- we'll need it for a loooong time since, DD, even though she's a peanut (25 pounds and 35 inches at 36 months old), has mild cerebral palsy and tires easily- and that it's easy to steer. Other things: recline, decent canopy, not too heavy, does weel on cobblestones, grass, etc. I would really prefer a single handlebar, over umbrella type for maneuverability.

So help me choose between:
    Chicco Liteway
    Baby Jogger City Mini Lite (The regular City Mini is insanely expensive here)
    Baby Jogger City Mini Zip (does it fit in the overhead compartment of a plane? even though it's more expensive, this seems like an interesting feature, see above about my experience with airlines, LOL)
    Mountain Buggy Nano (again, the part about it fitting in the overhead compartment is very alluring)
    Hauck Torro (I have never seen this one in person, does it handle better than the Liteway?)
    Peg Perego Pliko Mini (it would seem a good option if it handles better that the Liteway, since it's on sale)
    There's one that is not available in the US but looks a LOT like the Quinny Zap. I would need to try that one out in person.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 07-29-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

I just saw the Valco Latitude EX is available on Ebay for a very decent price. Any experiences with that one? And I just realised BRU ships internationally, so I'll check out more options.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Here's an inexpensive option: the BRU Zobo. It steers decently, isn't too heavy, has a decent canopy, and has a divine standing fold. It's our car stroller, our shorter mall trip stroller, and our pickup from school and camp stroller. On sale and with coupons I got it for about $75 (USD). I have no idea how it would handle on cobblestones, but I haven't had any problems on uneven pavement. It has two handlebars though.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Thanks Twobees. The other options I saw at BRU are:

GB Qbit (It looks small though, I haven't found the seatback measurements but it seems kind of short)
    Baby Jogger Vue
    Joovy Groove
    GB Zuzu
    And a couple of Gracos (which I hate and IME are cheaply made and hard to steer) Verb, Breaze, Aire3

Other than the Aire3 and the Qbit, they're all umbrella strollers. I just did a search and found an old post of mine in which I swore I would never, ever purchase an umbrella stroller again, only single handlebars LOL. I spent hours reading reviews last night and now I'm more confused than ever. Honestly I would go with the BJCM but it's so expensive here that it makes no sense, I might as well just travel with the Bee. The reviews on the BJCM Lite are really mixed, it seems it's not the same quality as the regular BJCM. The Valco Latitude looks good on paper, but has really mediocre ratings.

I think I will go look at the ones available in store later today and test them with DD and a heavy diaper bag on them.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post

I think I will go look at the ones available in store later today and test them with DD and a heavy diaper bag on them.
    I personally prefer strollers that are slightly heavier (eg, not 10 or 11 lbs) because I can hang a diaper bag on the back and not worry about the stroller tipping over. IIRC, the Zobo is 16 or 17 lbs. That's about the same weight as our older BJCM although the Zobo feels lighter.

Hollie at BabyGizmo recently reviewed one of the GB strollers, so you might want to check her site.

Can you find a BJCM on clearance that might work out to a cheaper price with shipping? Maybe a previous year's model. I also saw an exclusive color on Nordstrom.com during the anniversary sale; I do not know if those prices are still valid or if they ship internationally.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    I personally prefer strollers that are slightly heavier (eg, not 10 or 11 lbs) because I can hang a diaper bag on the back and not worry about the stroller tipping over. IIRC, the Zobo is 16 or 17 lbs. That's about the same weight as our older BJCM although the Zobo feels lighter.

Hollie at BabyGizmo recently reviewed one of the GB strollers, so you might want to check her site.

Can you find a BJCM on clearance that might work out to a cheaper price with shipping? Maybe a previous year's model. I also saw an exclusive color on Nordstrom.com during the anniversary sale; I do not know if those prices are still valid or if they ship internationally.
    I agree, I don't mind a 16-17 lb stroller, I prefer that over a bare-bones 13 lb one with no recline, etc.

I will check out the Nordstrom one, thanks. The BJCM is around 400 dollars when all is said and done. Considering I got my Bee+ for 450 at a clearance sale, DH would kill me if I got a $400 travel stroller for the sake of keeping the Bee safe LOL. I'm trying to stay around $200, because the exchange rate is awful right now.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Buy Buy Baby has two colors of the Baby Jogger Vue for $150. They also have the G-Luxe for $220 (Ella color). According to the BBB website, they do ship internationally but I don't know the terms and conditions.

I've had a G-luxe since Jan 2011 and I have to say I for the most part love it. It is one of those lighter 10lb strollers which does mean it can tip, but quite honestly, I still use my stroller with nearly 5 year old DD for things like amusement parks and we've not needed diapers for more than 2.5 years. I love that it is so light, it means I can actually just pick my peanut DD up in it and walk it up stairs when I am too lazy to find a ramp (or the ramp is much further away.) It does have a recline and a terrific sunshade. The wheels did fine when I brought it to the Farmer's Market all last Summer even though that meant grass and rocks. The stroller also made it off paved trail while hiking in Zion National Park last Summer.

I should note, I only get tippage when DD gets out of the stroller without alerting me first. (we don't use the harness straps anymore.) We also usually have *very* heavy bags from the Farmer's Market hanging off of it, and those weigh a lot more than your average diaper bag. It's been so long since I had an actual diaper bag hanging off, and back then I tended to strap DD in so....
    Last edited by rkold; 07-28-2015 at 11:22 PM.
    Mother to DD 10/2010

Quote Originally Posted by rkold View Post
    I've had a G-luxe since Jan 2011 and I have to say I for the most part love it. It is one of those lighter 10lb strollers which does mean it can tip, but quite honestly, I still use my stroller with nearly 5 year old DD for things like amusement parks and we've not needed diapers for more than 2.5 years. I love that it is so light, it means I can actually just pick my peanut DD up in it and walk it up stairs when I am too lazy to find a ramp (or the ramp is much further away.) It does have a recline and a terrific sunshade. The wheels did fine when I brought it to the Farmer's Market all last Summer even though that meant grass and rocks. The stroller also made it off paved trail while hiking in Zion National Park last Summer.

I should note, I only get tippage when DD gets out of the stroller without alerting me first. (we don't use the harness straps anymore.) We also usually have *very* heavy bags from the Farmer's Market hanging off of it, and those weigh a lot more than your average diaper bag. It's been so long since I had an actual diaper bag hanging off, and back then I tended to strap DD in so....
    Thanks for the review! I hadn't considered it at first because the G-luxe is $450 in stores here! But I'll see how much it is to have it shipped from the US.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Ok, So after trying them out in person today I think we'll go for another Liteway. I did find a G-luxe on clearance (marked down from $512 US dollars, to $256 US dollars, including 16% sales tax), and I have to agree it does have the best steering. The difference between the Liteway and the Pliko Mini is barely noticeable, but the G-luxe feels so.much.better to push. These are my impressions after trying them out:

Uppababy G-luxe (on sale for $256):
    Amazing push for an umbrella stroller, great canopy, it gets the award for those 2 things, hands down.
    Decent basket, fold, weight (comparable to the Chicco).
    The seat seems so shallow, I don't feel it supports my DD very much and if I extend the leg rest for more support, she can't put her feet on the foot rest and that drives her nuts. She liked it because it was pink (Magenta) but complained about the whole leg and foot rest thing.

Pliko Mini (on sale for $194):
    OK push (just a smidge better than the Liteway).
    Love the fold (all wheels on the same side, standing fold.)
    Very light.
    Virtually inaccessible basket
    I cannot get over how cheap and flimsy the seat is. I know I can put a seat liner on it, but it's more expensive, for the price I just can't go for such a cheap seat. The floor model showed a lot of wear (on the fabric). Also DD was very vocal about the fact that she found the Liteway much more comfortable, LOL. I cannot believe it has the same list price as the G-luxe in the US.
    The canopy is OK but also flimsy.

Chicco Liteway (on sale for $140)
    The push is comparable to the Pilko.
    Nice quality fabrics, sturdy frame
    Comfortable seat, DD needs more support than other kids her age and this one gives her enough.
    Easy to access basket.
    OK canopy.

I was about to go for the G-Luxe because of the push, but then I reminded myself the reason I want this stroller is for it to be thrown around by luggage handlers (we use the Bee as our everyday stroller), so I couldn't justify the price difference. If I find one on clearance on our next trip to TX I might the bullet then and avoid the import tax and shipping. All other options I saw online are well over $250 after import tax and international shipping, for a travel stroller it just doesn't make sense. Plus, I rarely travel without DH and he can push the stroller if it gets too annoying
    Last edited by edurnemk; 07-29-2015 at 04:53 PM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast