Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Any soccer moms out there?

We are signing our three and a half year old Daughter up for soccer this fall. (She loves to play "soccer" in the yard and kicks really well so we think she will enjoy it). I know nothing about soccer and our city has what seems like an unlimited number of options. Does anyone know anything about the variety of leagues? I guess it may not matter much at this age but its a bit overwhelming. Almost none of them list times until after registration so trying to pick based on our schedule isn't really working. Any tips? TIA

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

At that age, in our town, there are two types of organizations. One is more of a soccer “class” where the instructor does drills with the kids and they practice the basics. Of the top of my head, I can think of one called “Kidz Love Soccer,” but there are a lot of these. Maybe even offered through your town. Both my kids started off with this, at that age. Then, there is also AYSO. It’s a national, volunteer-run group with a long history. In my area, you have to be 4 to join. This league focuses on fun, fair, everyone-plays and skills. At the younger ages, there might be a short practice followed immediately by a ‘game.’ You get a uniform, learn to be a good teammate/sportsmanship and actually play other teams. It’s not competitive and more geared towards learning the basics and having fun. In our town, all games are always on Saturday, but you won't know the exact times until later, and they are not at the same time every week. Older kids (in AYSO) will have 1-2 weeknight practices, plus the Saturday games. That’s what I know about soccer for kids that young, in my area. As they get older, there are ‘club’ teams that you can try out for, coached by professionals and are competitive. They are a lot more expensive and require a huge time commitment, but great for the serious soccer player. My kids have done all of these and we love being a ‘soccer family.’ Your DD is going to love it!
    Last edited by baymom; 07-28-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

At that age, Lil Kickers or Park District/recreational class is great. DS1 hated his recreational class though at 3. He cried, he refused to go, etc. We quit going. Two years later, in kinder, he played on a kindergarten team and loved it. Now he plays travel and recreational soccer. If you have a bad experience with the classes, don't let it turn her/you off soccer.

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you! Do you know if NEYSO is affiliated with AYSO? We don't have an AYSO near us. It also looks like (according to the main website that you have to be 4 for AYSO. Looks like a great program though!
    Quote Originally Posted by baymom View Post
    At that age, in our town, there are two types of organizations. One is more of a soccer “class” where the instructor does drills with the kids and they practice the basics. Of the top of my head, I can think of one called “Kidz Love Soccer,” but there are a lot of these. Maybe even offered through your town. Both my kids started off with this, at that age. Then, there is also AYSO. It’s a national, volunteer-run group with a long history. In my area, you have to be 4 to join. This league focuses on fun, fair, everyone-plays and skills. At the younger ages, there might be a short practice followed immediately by a ‘game.’ You get a uniform, learn to be a good teammate/sportsmanship and actually play other teams. It’s not competitive and more geared towards learning the basics and having fun. In our town, all games are always on Saturday, but you won't know the exact times until later, and they are not at the same time every week. Older kids (in AYSO) will have 1-2 weeknight practices, plus the Saturday games. That’s what I know about soccer for kids that young, in my area. As they get older, there are ‘club’ teams that you can try out for, coached by professionals and are competitive. They are a lot more expensive and require a huge time commitment, but great for the serious soccer player. My kids have done all of these and we love being a ‘soccer family.’ Your DD is going to love it!

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Agree with pp, our city has 2 opportunities for 3 yos. Instructional classes, often parent/child or else the scrimmage/games only format where the kids just play "games" for one hour each week.
    We've done both types before and like both for different reasons and for different kids. I usually wait until mine are older (4.5 years), but am also considering singing up my 3yo who loves to play soccer.

We're opting for the scrimmage/games program (its intramural, totally non-competitive, no one keeps score) because he loves to play (and wants a team jersey) but isn't into drills or learning the finer points of the game. I think it will be enough to have fun and understand the basic 3: kick the ball into the net to score, pass to teammates, stay inside the white lines. He can learn all of that in the games only format. The instructional classes involved practice passing, dribbling around cones, and different types of kicks. It would all go over my 3yos head.

We've found one program with a set schedule (all 3 yo teams play at 9 am, 5 yo play at 10 am, etc.). They do exist but you'll have to search for it. Most of them changes times/fields each week and its a royal PITA, imo.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilotbaby View Post
    Thank you! Do you know if NEYSO is affiliated with AYSO? We don't have an AYSO near us. It also looks like (according to the main website that you have to be 4 for AYSO. Looks like a great program though!
    NEYSO is probably just the local level of AYSO, each state/region has its own version. Our local group is awesome and I highly recommend them, but doesn't take players below Kinder. and it would be overkill for what my 3yo wants to do.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We use our rec league one and it's not AYSO. I wouldn't rule out non affiliated groups. Our program is great. The neighboring town is AYSO and really no different (we've done both).
    Like pp, our sport experiences in preschool were more of a miss, especially with ds1.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is so young. My 11-yo DD plays club soccer now, and started out in Little Kickers then many years of AYSO. I think AYSO is great - I didn't know a thing about soccer but became a ref and followed the World Cup with gusto.

I would do AYSO when she's in kindy. Play with her at home too, that's probably the best thing you can do!