Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dishwashers

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The sales guy at hh gregg was great explaining the decibel levels. The newer units are all really close
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

We bought the Bosch 800 series a couple years ago ($900?) and LOVE it. It replaced an earlier Bosch the previous owner put in that was part of a recall, so we got a discounted rate on the new Bosch. The 800 series is "middle of the line" I think, so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it does have the hidden controls, which I like. It also has the stainless steel tub. Plus, it's so quiet I look for the red light to make sure it's on. Finally, as a PP mentioned, the top utensil rack is great and so much better than the old utensil caddy I had. I just sweep the forks together and deposit directly into the silverware organizer in a drawer.

I also agree that the biggest drawback is that one section on the bottom rack has its tines really close together. I can only get DDs' slim profile Duralex Lys plates and my small ceramic saucers in between those tines. My regular dinner plates will fit in the back row or one of the 2 front sections.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I just got the LG with the garbage disposal in the bottom stainless inside adjustable rack. The first time I turned it on I got angry because I didn't think it was working.... LOL it was that quiet. Does a great job cleaning and plays a little song when its done. and was several hundred cheaper than the Bosch. I'm very happy with it.
    Is it this one? My grandma put the stainless version of this LG in her new house and is happy with (she moved from a house with two top if the line Kitchen Aid washers), and it is quiet as well and her kitchen, dining, and living room are all attached and you can still have a conversation while doing dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    The sales guy at hh gregg was great explaining the decibel levels. The newer units are all really close
    Even my parents non stainless interior and non fancy $400 or so GE dishwasher isn't nearly as loud as their old one.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

We have hard water here and Bosch generally don't do well around here. We went with Miele classic that we got on sale. Works beautifully for us!!! We don't always rinse before putting in machine and still cleans well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl07067 View Post
    I am following as I could have written your post word for word! Our dishwasher is very old and I feel like I have to clean things more when I take things out of it! We are leaning towards a Bosch as well, but I have a question for Bosch owners. Did you find that the spaces on the lower rack were really small where you put dishes? The little things that separate the dishes, I don't know what they are called, seem much closer together on the Bosch models. I almost want to bring my dishes into the appliance store, to make sure they fit, crazy person that I am!
    We have thicker stoneware plates and ours fit fine. They recommend taking your stuff to the store. Do it!

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The spacing in the bosch works for me -- my plates, bowls, etc. fit. I agree with Snuggles, take some of your stuff with you to the store and try -- it's a legitimate concern.

I hated my Bosch and would never buy one again (didn't make it past 5 years, leaked water and motor burned out, both common issues with the brand). Absolutely horrendous customer service if you do have a problem. My parents also had trouble with theirs. My repairman recommended Kitchenaid. We bought an Asko to replace the Bosch and though it is a bit louder (though still quiet), it cleans much better. New house unfortunately comes with a Bosch, plan to replace with Asko or Miele when it dies.

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the bottom of the line Miele (now 2 years old) and I couldn't love it more. You do need to use rinse aid for it to dry thoroughly, but it cleans really well and dries well too. Since there is no heat dry, you can put plastics anywhere (same as Bosch). Love the third rack for silverware. It doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles but it has what we need (we use Normal usually, Pots and Pans and Express). I also just used their dishwasher cleaner for the first time and it now looks brand new. I should have used it sooner!

My in-laws just purchased a Bosch (800 series I think) and they like it. They did say that it takes getting used to loading it and some things didn't fit as well as they would have hoped, but it is European and they don't make dishwashers that accommodate huge plates. A nice feature our Miele has is that a section of the lowest rack is removable so it makes it easy to wash large pots and pans. Comes in handy sometimes.

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl07067 View Post
    We are leaning towards a Bosch as well, but I have a question for Bosch owners. Did you find that the spaces on the lower rack were really small where you put dishes? The little things that separate the dishes, I don't know what they are called, seem much closer together on the Bosch models. I almost want to bring my dishes into the appliance store, to make sure they fit, crazy person that I am!
    I actually did bring a place setting and two cutting boards into the store to make sure that everything would fit appropriately. Based on that experiment, I made sure to get the Bosch with the adjustable top rack so that I can put my larger cutting boards through without having to do a "bottom rack only" load.

FWIW, we like our Bosch all right, but seven years in the racks are having issues and we have to use pricey "dishwasher cleaner" to prevent soap buildup inside the machine (vinegar was not cutting it). Also, scrubbing the filters at the bottom of the machine is yucky. Our machine was designed for the days when dish detergent had phosphates in it and my guess is that its issues arise from the change in soap formulas. I definitely would consider a different brand next time.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a Bosch 800 series as well and it's been great. I did take a bunch of my dishes into the store, including a big Pyrex glass bowl and my huge cutting board, to make sure it would all fit. I LOVE the 3rd rack and couldn't imagine ever getting another dishwasher without one! When I went to the store, I actually like the layout of the Bosch 800 more than the 800 Plus. So yeah, I would highly recommend taking your dishes with you. The tines for the plates are much narrower in one section, but they fit our plates great and we can fit a ton. We do have some super thick stoneware plates from my MIL that don't fit as well, but I didn't like them anyways and prefer our Ikea square plates that fit great!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast