Smile Infant carrier seat for tall chunky babies

My ds 11, and ds 7 outgrew their infant carrier around 4 months old. I know that infant seats are now made to fit babies longer. I've been reading reviews on Britax B-safe 35, and there are a few reviewers that say their baby outgrew that seat really fast because it is so narrow. My other 2 kids were long, chunky babies, so I'm really worried about this one outgrowing an infant seat too soon! Britax has a longer length (32"?). Chicco KeyFit is 30", I think.

I'd love to hear which infant seat you would try for big babies. I'm thinking about skipping the infant seat and getting a convertible seat, but it is really nice not to have to wake a sleeping baby every time we need to get out of the car.

As for a stroller, I'm kind of leaning towards the Baby Jogger City Mini GT, but I hate that the carrier adapter is an extra $60 and that the infant carrier and stroller won't match!
    I've seen taller people pushing Britax strollers, and they look like they're bending over to push them. I'll save that for the stroller board

meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

The new City GO car seat is a re-brand of this one:
    http://csftl.org/urbini-petal-infant-car-seat-review/

I wonder how much the adapter would cost for this? Currently they're only selling the City GO with their Vue Lite at Target.

FWIW, we didn't get the adapter to use our Keyfit with the City Mini because it looked goofy and other people had told us that the stroller didn't feel very stable in that configuration, which make sense given where the center of gravity ends up. We bought the Keyfit+Keyfit Caddy and were very happy with that combination, with the CM as our main stroller for walks.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had the same issue. I think the height limit for the seat we bought in 2004 was 26 inches, which didn't get us very far. We got a hand me down with a 29 inch height limit for #3, but he was even bigger than his older siblings and out of it by 4 months.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

well, you are going to move baby into a convertible regardless, so my thought is its not such a big deal how long the infant seat will last. if you want the ability to use as a travel system, i would go for the lightest possible infant seat. its not like using the infant seat longer will allow you to skip buying the convertible, ykwim?

and fwiw, I skipped the infant seat with my last 3 babies and didn't miss it. i used a radian and a cocorro from birth and both are great. I also love having a stroller with full recline and/or bassinet. especially with older siblings, activities, etc, the bassinet was wonderful. dd2 would sleep and sleep and sleep in it. i also used it at home for naps when she was tiny.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

I would think about when, why, and how long you really want to use the infant seat. I didn't care too much about getting DS in and out of the car when he was 2-8 months and the weather was ok, but I was really glad to have it when he was 9-13 months and it was cold, wet, snowy, etc. We had a KeyFit and loved it, but he was on the smaller side and actually still fit into it at 16 months, although we stopped using it around 14 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a very tall/larger baby and have been thrilled with the Nuna Pipa. It's really roomy, and fits him very well. It's speedy, but worth it, IMO.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior