Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default ISO mascara recs

I don't wear mascara very often but would like to find one that doesn't flake off or smudge. I have long, thick eyelashes that have a pretty nice curl to them and I don't wear a lot of make-up, so I don't want one that is too dramatic. I am willing to pay for an expensive one if it does what I need it to!

Eta: bonus points for one that's low on ewg skin deep

Here are ones I have tried:

clinique- flaked or smudged
    Mary Kay- ditto
    Benefit They're Real- liked the way they looked but smudged. My sister let me try her old one. Does old mascara flake/smudge more easily?
    Benefit Roller Lash.- It didn't move but it was a little clumpy and more dramatic than necessary. If I don't find a better one, this will have to do.
    Tarte Gifted Amazonian clay- flaked off and felt wet

please help!
    Last edited by boltfam; 07-29-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Maybelline Full and Soft. Better than any expensive mascara I have tried.
    Green Tea, mom to three

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Loreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes. Works really well, and when it comes off, in the shower or with face wash, comes off in large fibrous pieces. It doesn't smear or smudge. I don't think it could, based on the way the black coating adheres to the white lengthening base coat. Loreal makes several Double Extend products, but the Beauty Tubes mascara is in a red and white tube.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Loreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes. Works really well, and when it comes off, in the shower or with face wash, comes off in large fibrous pieces. It doesn't smear or smudge. I don't think it could, based on the way the black coating adheres to the white lengthening base coat. Loreal makes several Double Extend products, but the Beauty Tubes mascara is in a red and white tube.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post

This. No matter what else what I try, this remains my goto.

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DiorShow. I tried a lot of mascara before I found this one!
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Covergirl professional. Purple tube (used to be a blue tube). It's the only mascara (grocery store or high end) that doesn't give me raccoon eyes.

ETA: http://www.covergirl.com/beauty-prod...of-mascara-pro
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh wow, Tarte Gifted is my favorite! No smudges or flakes; it's so weird how people have different experiences!

My other fave is Laura Geller GlamLash. It sometimes ends up a tiny bit smudgy by the end of the day. I just repurchased it at Ulta, and got a pack that came with a full-size Laura Geller lash primer, for the same price as the GlamLash itself. I'm trying the combo today for the first time. So far, so good.

I'm VERY picky about mascara! I loved Yves St Laurent Faux Clis, but it was/is insanely perfumed and gave me a headache.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boltfam View Post
    Does old mascara flake/smudge more easily?
    IME, YES. All my bottles start to smudge and flake at around the 3-month mark (shouldn't keep mascara for longer than that, anyway). The worse offender was one from Bobbi Brown. I loved it, but it was nearly unusable after two months.

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks you all for the recs!

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    Oh wow, Tarte Gifted is my favorite! No smudges or flakes; it's so weird how people have different experiences!
    i know! I really wanted to like it, and it had such good reviews!

Until the Rollerlash stayed on, I was beginning to think my eye lashes were not capable of keeping mascara on them.
    Last edited by boltfam; 07-29-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast