Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What is this? RN's or medically knowledgeable BBers please....

I will try to explain this as best I can though please forgive my strange or inept description. I have a vein/blood rushing kind of pain along the side of my right wrist - sometimes feeling the vein popping over, sometimes just feeling painful rush of blood - when my arm swings, sometimes when I grasp something, etc - but a lot of the time. It's been there ever since I was in the hospital for Gogo's arrival. What is it?? It's really quite painful and annoying and somewhat worrisome. If it is any correlation I had my IV on the same side, on the top right side of my right hand (so opposite to where the pain is). Should I call my OB? Bring it up at my checkup next week? Hurry to the doc? Would really love any insight. I got to go out to do errands alone today and I could not walk normally fast with my arms swinging and I thought I would come here and ask. TIA so much!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Having a hard time imagining the location, tired . But I had a throbbing pain in the same area that I assumed was related to the IV. Took a few days but went away. The IV really stung when it went in too.

Did you have your IV in for more than a couple days in that same hand? It's not unusual to experience phlebitis if a vein was used for an extended amount of time. For me, anything over two days is asking for it. What it is is basically inflammation in that particular vein. It does not have to be at the insertion site to have been caused by the IV. That's where my money would be. IIRC, you had a C-section, so you may have had that site for a few days. I'm not a doc, so go ahead and call your OB or call the floor and speak to the charge nurse where you were admitted and ask. Sorry! Phlebitis is annoying and it HURTS! In the course of pregnancies/deliveries, I've probably had 200 or so IVs. I was on them for months to stay hydrated with my first two.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)