Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it is a very promising update. Fingers crossed they make this work so your son can go and be healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have to spend the night with him? I am not sure of his condition but if you can at all avoid making him sleep with his mom and be able to stay in the room with the other kids while still maintaining his safety, I would think that would be better all the way around. Of course you could use the room and just try and stay out of the activities except for when you monitor/assist him. With the doctor's note you should seek clarifying language and add this to your IEP since you had addressed regular field trips before. That will greatly assist the school in dealing with other parents whose children have special circumstances. Having been on a field trip with a child (not mine) who had a crippling anxiety attack - I wish his mom had warned us and come along since they had asked for parent chaperones. Hope it works out for your son!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Do you have to spend the night with him? I am not sure of his condition but if you can at all avoid making him sleep with his mom and be able to stay in the room with the other kids while still maintaining his safety, I would think that would be better all the way around. Of course you could use the room and just try and stay out of the activities except for when you monitor/assist him. With the doctor's note you should seek clarifying language and add this to your IEP since you had addressed regular field trips before. That will greatly assist the school in dealing with other parents whose children have special circumstances. Having been on a field trip with a child (not mine) who had a crippling anxiety attack - I wish his mom had warned us and come along since they had asked for parent chaperones. Hope it works out for your son!

I agree does he HAVE to sleep in the room with you? It kind of defeats the camp experience w/ his friends unless he is that medically fragile
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I'm glad they seem willing to work with you. It sounds promising, good luck!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I know it might seem less ideal to many of you but I think having him sleep with me is the best in this situation. First, DS doesn't really care about the camp experience. I mean, it IS fun, but he's just not that kind of kid that really cares. I would have been really devastated to be separated from my friends. And I agree it is a big part of camp for a lot of kids. But I don't think it is that big of a deal for THIS kid.

And from a medical/logistical standpoint, this arrangement is ideal. So much less trouble. And I think less potential embarrassment as well. I don't know the sleeping arrangements at this camp but when I went to 6th grade camp years ago, we had like 30 kids in a room. Can you imagine how it might disrupt the sleep of the other bunk mates if I have to make trips even twice a night (which would be a good night) to check his blood sugar, give a juice or give insulin? I think a lot of kids would sleep through it (mine do) but some might not. I would also have to wake the camp staff to enter the room and do my thing, KWIM?

Anyway, for us RIGHT NOW, this is still the ideal and is what would make this trip possible!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3